Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 09:37 AM
    Grounding, Bonding and Surge Supprression
    For now I'm going to put this paper up as is. Eventually, I'll add page numbers for explanation of common questions that appear here. Some examples are:

1. Why are additional ground rods such as those at a sub panel a bad idea? See page 5

2. What is a ground loop?

3. Why is a neutral/ground swap dangerous? How do you detect it?

4. Whole house, equipment surge protectors or both?

5. The paper addresses ungrounded systems, transient suppression and noise. Useful for those wanting to understand the importance of ground for equipment a house wired without one. It answers the question: What effect does surge suppressors have on such a system.

ExactPower(tm) - Home of the Residential Power Integrity System

The above company, has a different marketing angle, but the company below is marketing a similar product without much of an explanation. Chloride - Power Conditioners

I saw a demo about 30 years ago where ONEAC used actual oscilloscope monitoring and showed you what the product can do. It's not magic. The CA CB series is meant for local use, 1000 VA or so. In terms of connected equipment reliability, it wins hands down when blackouts are not part of the problem to be eliminated. 12 years on a single computer and 5 on the one prior and who knows how long on the replacement.

This sticky is not about the companies, but rather technology adapting. Exactpower's paper is not hype. Their explanation on all fronts makes sense from an engineering perspective.

Independent/isolated ground receptacles (orange ones in an industrial environment) is yet another adaptation of technology.

Keeping dirty and clean power loads separate makes sense when you have a "Home theater" system and not a stereo and a TV.

Initial post: 8/13/2009; updated 8/13/09
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 10:14 AM
    *studying... *
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2009, 02:17 PM

Active neutral harmonic suppressiion.
    Current waveforms of various kinds of loads.
    Sizing the neutral.

Food for thought:

http://www.pserc.org/cgi-pserc/getbi...eti_slides.pdf

http://ewh.ieee.org/conf/tdc/elimina...t_Problems.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Main Elect Panel/Grounding/Surge Problems [ 3 Answers ]

About 14 months ago, the high voltage transformer on the utility pole shorted out during a rainstorm. Branches had also fallen over the wires. 12 seconds later, the current was restored but the resulting surge caused several appliances to burn out. (all hard wired smoke detectors had circuit boards...

Differnce between neutral grounding and separated grounding [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between neutral and separate grounding?? Why and when do you defer between them?? Basically why do we ground, what's its purpose and what are the differences between the varying methods. I hope I don't sound dumb but the US NAVY nuclear electrical school didn't teach me ...

Surge Bar [ 1 Answers ]

My friend has bought a surge protector bar... when he plugs it in an outlet the red light comes on but the green one does not... which means the outlet is not grounded.. is this safe to use or what should he do Thanks

B&S surge [ 1 Answers ]

My 18 hp B&S model 422707 is still surging.I have cleaned the carb.and set the enrichment screw.Any ideas out there? Jack

View more questions Search