Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Aug 13, 2009, 09:06 AM
    Fleas in Apt
    Hey everyone...

So recently I've had a horrible flea problem in my apartment. I've lived here for a year, never had any problems. I got a cat in February, kept flea meds on her with no problems, even when I took her to the ocean. I got new upstairs neighbours in June. They have 2 dogs. Ever since they moved in I've bombed my apartment with flea bombs twice, the flea meds aren't working on my cat and I'm getting eaten alive. I just bombed last Friday (6 days ago) and I am finding fleas on me when I sit in the living room, I'm finding them in the bathroom and my bedroom. I'm also finding dead fleas in the light fixtures.

I bought the flea spray and I'm going to vacuum and put Borax in the carpet. I'm also going to talk to the manager about the issue, but what can I really do?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 01:23 PM

When I was desperate because nothing else worked I sprinkled Sevin Dust on the rugs and later swept it up. You should leave the apartment with the cat for a while until you sweep it up.
    Also when you use the fogger or anything you need to immediately run the sweeper on the sofa, under the cushions and everywhere. Then empty the bag out in the trash can. Also wash all your bedding, towels and clothing so they can't hide in them.
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Aug 13, 2009, 01:27 PM

Yeah, after bombing I immediately washed/vacuumed everything and everywhere. They're coming from upstairs so at this point until the upstairs neighbours bomb, there isn't a whole lot I can do. I'm going to try Borax in the carpet, its supposed to help.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 01:47 PM
    I finally got through! Had a wi-fi snafu earlier. Sorry.

You've made a start in the right direction. Keeping them off your animal and getting rid of the ones already there are the two main steps. You seem to have the animal going in the right direction, don't give up on her flea meds.

She's being re-infested by the ones inside your home. Getting rid of them is kind of labor intensive.

Flea Biology 101 - Fleas pupate inside a cocoon just like a moth or butterfly. They do not leave that protected cocoon until it's time to get the blood meal they need to breed and lay eggs. Bombs, sprays, powders, etc. cannot penetrate those cocoons. You need to get the flea to hatch itself out so it can be affected by the pesticide.

Research has shown that there are three main factors in getting the adult flea to hatch out: temperature, humidity, and the vibration or pressure from a potential blood source passing by. As far as temperature and humidity go, guess who likes the same things we do? Yep.

Setting up vibrations in your carpets and rugs can best be accomplished by the beater brush on your vacuum cleaner. The vacuum also sucks up eggs, some of the larvae, and the dirt the larvae feed on.

To keep the ones you vacuum up from surviving, the flea powders for carpets help in a couple of ways: killing fleas and showing you spots that need more vaccuming.

Keep in mind that every couple of days more pupae inside their cocoons will reach maturity, so vaccuming once won't do. Fleas spend an average of two weeks in the pupal stage, so vaccuming daily for at least that long is essential.

Sorry about the book length answer, but if you know why you're doing something you can do it better.

Summary:

Keep the animal treated. With neighbor animals you MUST keep it up.
    Treat the home with a product to kill adults and a growth regulator to inhibit maturation.
    Sprinkle flea powder liberally on the floors after the spray/bomb has dried.
    Vacuum, Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum (14 times) every day for at least two weeks, maybe three.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fleas [ 4 Answers ]

My puppies have fleas they are 3 weeks what can I use ?:confused:

Fleas [ 3 Answers ]

Howdy folks, I have 3 dogs,a toy poodle,a jack russle/chiawawamix, and an 86 poubd chow dog.We have all the high dollar flea stuff, and can kill them on the dogs, but my question is... What can I do about killing them in the yard?? Is there a spray or some sort of poisen to kill these things in...

Getting rid of fleas [ 5 Answers ]

How do I get rid of fleas in my apt.

How to get rid of fleas on cat [ 4 Answers ]

Quick question about fleas on a cat. We discovered that our indoor cat has fleas. So we shampooed him with flea shampoo then we gave him Zodiac Spot on Plus flea & tick Control 3mth supply 2 days ago & today I have found at least 4 live ones still on him. What else can we do to get rid of fleas. We...

Getting rid of fleas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, we have 2 dogs and a new house.. and we now have fleas! We have treated the yard for fleas and need to rid the house and dogs of them, but I do not want to "bomb" the house with insecticides. I have heard to use salt, Borax laundry detergent and dish detergent... if anyone has experience with...

View more questions Search