Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badlands23 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2009, 07:52 AM
    Flapper Valve not staying open
    Hi,

I installed a Fluidmaster 404LG complete repair kit, last Thursday (8/6/09) and my problem is that I need to double flush the toilet for it to completely empty.

I think the problem is that the flapper is not staying open long enough.

I understand I have to adjust the chain and I will try that, but how tight do I make the chain? How much slack should I give?

Any help would be great!

Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 08:13 AM

You want the chain to be just about 1" longer than distance between the arm and the flapper. When you flush there should be some slack but moving the handle raises the flapper to nearly full verticle where it stays and flaots back down. If the problem is not the chain Fluidmaster also makes a flapper that is adjustable, stays open longer if needed, think it's a 505

Aug 13, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Thank you. I will check the chain length and let you know if it is more or less than your suggestion of 1 inch.

The flapper does go completely straight up when I flush, it just tends to stay up before the water in the toilet completely empties.

According to the fluidmaster site, they suggest adjusting the flapper valve flush number to a higher number (from 4 to 6,7,8 or 9). Does that make sense?

I went to the fluidmaster web site. Would the sure fit adjust a flush flapper (with foam float), #5051 help?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2009, 08:36 AM
    Let's adjust the tank parts first. Check the tank water level, it should be at the mark in the tank or 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. Now look at the flapper, If it has wavy edges on the flat surface, replace it. The linkage between the flapper and the flush lever should have 1/4" play when the tank is filled. Also, check the small tube coming out of the top of the ballcock and make sure it's connect to and draining into the white overflow tube. If the leak is at the base of the tank there are two brass bolts on both sides of the flapper, if the tank is loose, leaking or wobbly, snug up the bolts. If there is dampness at the base of the bowl, pop off the china caps and snug down the closet bolts. I would check all this out before paying 50$ for a service call and 50$ a hour thereafter. More questions? I'm as close as a click. TOM

Aug 13, 2009, 08:50 AM

Would a flapper with a foam float help keep the flapper open long enough for the toilet bowl water to completely flush?

I will check the water level and let you know about that.

There are no leaks since I installed the new parts. That I am sure of.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Any one of these should work for you. (see images) You do realize that you have to take a pair of scissors and cut the ring off before mounting it on the hooks don't you? Failure to do so will result in the action you're complaining about. Regards, Tom

Aug 13, 2009, 11:15 AM
    What ring am I cutting off?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by badlands23 View Post
    what ring am i cutting off?
    This ring!

Aug 13, 2009, 01:07 PM
    I don't have that ring. I am using the fluidmaster 404lg. The flapper came attached to the white tube that needs to be cut down.

Now I am leaking from the two bolts in the tank.

I turned off the water supply and will attempt to retighten the bolts.

On top of that, I've been playing with the water fill valve because the tank hasnt' been filling up after a flush and now that's off.

I'm going crazy!

Aug 13, 2009, 01:54 PM

Is there anyway to attach a picture of my toilet tank from a file on my computer?

I only see a link from a url?

Aug 13, 2009, 01:56 PM
    I hate to keep posting, but I've been trying to adjust the links in the chain and now matter how low I go, the flapper refuses to stay open.

The water fills up in the tank to about a 1/2" away from the water line mark.

Occaisonally the fill valve does not fill the tank all the way. I have to release the safety device on the fill valve for the water to keep running.

Is that part of the problem?

I really don't want to admit defeat and call a plumber.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2009, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by badlands23 View Post
    is there anyway to attach a picture of my toilet tank from a file on my computer?

i only see a link from a url?
    To Send Attachments
    Make your post and scroll down to Manage Attachments click on that and then click Browse This will allow you to get into your computer and retrieve your picture and upload it to The Plumbing Page.
    I'll be looking for it. Tom

Aug 13, 2009, 03:28 PM

OK. I won't be able to post until after 9 this evening as I am working.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2009, 03:39 PM
    I usually work on the site in the daytime and kick back at night but you'll be the first thing I check in the morning. See you! Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 04:33 PM

I also await the pics, this will defiantely help us with your problem. Until then, can you desribe the flapper valve? Im guessing it one of those new water conserving flappers, if so, throw it away and go buy a universal corky flapper valve. This style of flapper will stay up until almost all of the water is drained from the tank. Good luck and please let us know what you find. Lee.

Aug 13, 2009, 04:51 PM
    thanks for the patience. I installed a fluidmaster 404 LG. the flapper valve that came with it is what I used.

see the link below for the product I used (not quite the same thing, but very similar).

http://www.fluidmaster.com/index.asp?bhcp=1

any chance the water in the tank is not filled enough to flush out the toilet?

I am having a problem with my fill valve not allowing enough water into the tank on some of the test runs I've been trying while moving the chain.

I have to release the safety valve to allow the float cup to move up.

Aug 13, 2009, 06:18 PM

OK here is the picture as promised. Not sure it will help. Hope it does.
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 06:30 PM

Do you have the chain off for some reason, it is not in place.

Aug 14, 2009, 05:50 AM

Actually, it is on. I just didn't take a very good picture.

That black chain is part of the safety feature which sometimes prevents the flow valve from filling the tank up. Drives me nuts.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 14, 2009, 06:10 AM
    Send us another picture please. This time stand over the tank and shoot directly down. Thanks, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced Fill Valve and Flapper - Now Bowl Water Level Is Lower [ 6 Answers ]

I recently replaced both my toilets' fill valves and flappers to resolve some running water/leaking issues - which was fixed on both toilets. The toilets are Kohler 1.6 gpf models. But now my problem is that the bowl water fill level is about an inch lower than it used to be. As soon as the...

Flapper valve assembly won't close after flushing [ 4 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, the flapper raises to let the water exit the tank, but won't go back down. It apparently has nothing to do with the chain length. It just seems to be weighted so that it stays open (I don't think that adding weight will help). What can I do to fix this? Thanks!

What is an open valve faucet? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm thinking about installing an instant hot water dispenser in my kitchen. Before purchasing, I've read the installation instructions and it says that the unit will only work with an open valve faucet? How can I determine if my existing kitchen faucet is an open valve faucet?

Open/close tub valve is broke [ 5 Answers ]

Its officially broke and the water goes down slow. I unscrewed the 2 screws that held the plate and cleaned it with baking soda, and found this metal wire part came out, one eye is broken (looks like a hook and eye thing that attached to 2 mental hooks). The tub came with the house built in 1989....

View more questions Search