Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 12:40 AM
    Can I talk about work on my blog
    HI there,

I have a strange request. I want to start a blog about my life. Loads of people that I know think I should write a book about my childhood, but since I suck at writing, I thought I'd start a blog about my life and crafting and such. Well, I'm a caregiver for developmentally disabled adults. I come to their home five days a week and take them on outtings, clean their house, and do for them what they can't do for themselves. Well, my question is this: Would I get fired if I discussed my day at work on my blog if I changed the client's names?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

I'm wondering if this is breaking any HIPAA laws.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2009, 12:48 AM

As far as I know, as long as your protect their identities, then you shouldn't.

I mean, what's the harm if you say Daisy Roache is Jane Doe and her address, 321 Melrose Place, is 123 abc street.

Just what I think, not sure, don't know the laws. It sounds like a good idea though. It's a good thing to do for the world, and if more people are enlightened to it, then maybe there would be more interest for it.

Anyway, I HOPE you can, but not sure.
    Good Luck! :)
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 17, 2009, 07:59 AM

I would personally advise against it.

Even if you change names and fine details, if your employeer can trace you back to the comments you make (positive or negative) they could take action.

If a patient's family member finds your blog and recognizes their loved one you could have a problem - even if you change names.

If you choose to do it, do not post any personal pictures or information, certainly not your name. Hide your own identity as well as your patients and coworkers.

These days, many employeers are creating policies and procedures regarding social networking sites, blogs included. If you're found to be discussing work (especially in negative terms) you could risk termination. Its not just about HIPAA but other companies are concerned about their reputations and policies being shared on the world wide web.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kid who won't talk for himself but will copy how other people talk [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I saw this movie years ago, on HBO, I never caught the name of the movie, and then the power went out, I never saw it again.. The movie was about this boy who was wouldn't talk or he couldn't talk. He could however copy peoples voices, and talk like them, exactley like them.. does anyone...

No non-compete, but contracting firms won't talk to me because I work for client [ 2 Answers ]

I am a computer programmer. I am an employee of a large insurance company with a large technology division. My company also works with contracting firms to hire contract programmers on a temporary basis. There is an agreement between my company and the contracting firms it uses that prevents the...

Do you talk about Politics @ work? [ 11 Answers ]

Hey there, Do you talk about Politics at work? Who do you talk to about your Politics opinion? Is that safe to talk about it at all? Why? I would like to see different reasons for that. Start myself, I don't mention a word about politics at work.

Wow, my first blog! [ 10 Answers ]

Hey, you I was looking for a better definition of a control freak with my search engine and it took me to this place... my very first blog! Every Topic in the Universe(s?) I've heard of blogs and know what they are, but after browsing through this one, I have to admit that I consider myself...

View more questions Search