Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 23, 2006, 03:44 PM
    How do I reinstall windows legally
    I have an computer that's a few years old.

I recently purchased a 100GB hard drive for it. I want to install the copy of windows XP home on this hard drive. It's the same windows disc that came with the computer. So I can't see it violating any Microsoft "laws".

Its still a good system, it just needs an operating system on it. Currently its just sitting up here collecting dust and I'd like to get it going again.

I had tried to do this before, and I ran into this activation problem. How do I activate it. Ive been told you have to phone Microsoft, and then they charge you money.

Uarg... I miss the good old days, when you could just do a reformatt without the worry of all this piracy, hidden fee's breaking laws, etc... politics politics...

Anyway, is this possible, or will that computer just rott? I mean, I could spend $200 for a new licence, but for only a couple hundred more I could get a whole new computer. Just seems kind of wastefull, and wasting money is not a luxury I have.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2006, 04:00 PM
    Call the number. Press the prompts for "installation problems" and they will not charge you money... and everything will go fine as long as you are the registered owner of the computer/windows software.

Ran into this myself once and it was no problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How I can get a friend out of her house legally? [ 6 Answers ]

Ok. My friend is living with her grandparents and they treat her like crap. They abuse her both emotionally and physically and she wants out. She is 16, and still in school. Is there a way I can get her out of the house with out getting in trouble? Please help me! Every time she tries to leave they...

Legally bound even after lease is up?! [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, here's the situation. My roommate and I signed a 10 month lease, and the lease is up on the 31st of this month. I am moving out because I've found a new job in another city. My roommate still wants to live in the apartment, so we started looking for people to fill the room. I've done all I...

Can't reinstall Windows 98 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I formatted my hard drive and tried to reinstall Windows 98 on my laptop. When I attempt to reinstall it says that it can't continue because there is a previous install still on the computer. I think the info might have gone onto my D drive and I don't know how to do a complete cleaning of...

Games does not recognize additional buttons of Logitech MX500 after Windows reinstall [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a Logitech MX500 that I use from about 2 years. It always worked good and I always used its additional buttons in games. The problem started when I had to format C: and reinstall Windows. Now games like Half-Life 2 or SeriousSam 2 does not recognize my additional buttons any...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

View more questions Search