Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsu0272n Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Aug 12, 2009, 06:29 PM
    Student car loan with no co signer
    So I'm a junior in college the car I have been driving for years finally made its last ride I really need to get a new car so that I can work and go to school. I have no family that can help me with a cosign and I only make about 1000$ a month cause I'm working my way through school I have the money to make payments around $200 a month or so and maybe a $2000 down payment but I have no credit not bad credit just no credit. Does anyone know of a way to get a car loan as a student with no cosigner, no credit and on such a small income. They usually want you to have a $1800 minimal monthly income for a loan.. this is so frustrating cause I no many people in my same predicament I think there should be some kind of program to help under privileged college students get a car loan. Cause if I wasn't in school then I could a afford to get a new car and get the loan no problem cause my income would be higher it seems like a catch 22!!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2009, 06:38 PM

Have you tried used car dealers that say they no credit necessary as long as you have a decent job? You have to be careful with them though cause they will sell a lemon then you have to take them to court.

Also maybe a private owner that is selling a car for a couple thousand might be an option
    jsu0272n Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Aug 12, 2009, 10:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Have you tried used car dealers that say they no credit necessary as long as you have a decent job?
    Yeah I have looked at those places but it ridiculous 2 or 3 thousand dollar down payments and 2 or 3 hundred dollar monthly payments for a car that looks and runs like crap I just don't know if I can bring myself to waste my money and time on something like that. You can get a brand new car for 2g's down and 250 a month and they want more than that for a 7 or 8 year old vehicle in mediocre condition
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 11:06 PM

I know of no place with that low income you can or should be getting a car. Most buy here / pay here places are looking at 300 or 400 a month payments on over priced cars.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 11:14 PM

I bought my first car not that long ago. I couldn't find any new cars for as cheap as you're saying. That's how much my car ended up being, I bought it used. Are you sure you've really looked hard enough? It took awhile, but I ended up getting a good deal. The car I bought was a few years old but had hardly been driven. I bought it from a consignment dealer. You have to look everywhere. And don't be afraid to try for a lower price. The worst that can happen is they say no and you keep looking.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Aug 13, 2009, 04:33 PM

With the ecomony being what it is ,maybe you can find someone who needs to get rid of a car.
    I know where I live and we have the highest
    unemployment in our state people can not find a job so many have started selling their cars.
    I recently got a 2007 Honda for way below
    its value simply because someone could not make the payments. I took it to my mechanic
    who said the car was in great shape and if I didn't buy it he would! So that may be an avenue to look at.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Student loans without co-signer [ 2 Answers ]

I am a mother of a 2nd year undergraduate and she is trying to get a student loan without a co-signer. She is a very good student and unfortunately we can't co-sign for her. Anyone know of a bank that will approve a student loan without a co-signer?

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

Remove name as co-signer from Parent Plus Loan [ 3 Answers ]

American Education Service (AES) will allow a co-signer to remove their name from a loan if the co-singer has made 48 constitutive payments. This law was is for loans open 2005. My loan was open 2000. I have made 78 constitutive payments. I was told that I do not qualify because my loan was open in...

Co Signer of Car Loan Gone Bad [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I co-signed for my ex boyfriend over 5 years ago. When we broke up only 3 months after I co signed we agreed to take our cars into our own name. I did this and waited about 6 months before contacting him to see if he was going to take care of this matter. He never did take care of the...

Co-signer on Car Loan and Account Garnished [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have just had our joint account garnished/levey yesterday and all the bank would give us was a phone number that was only in operation from 8-5pm. They would not tell us any details only that the account had been garnished. Today we have found out that is for collection of a...

View more questions Search