Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nick Raspa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 03:45 PM
    repair water damaged wall supports & sump pump drainage ditch
    I found water and some mold building in the basement. I tore away the drywall (up to about 4 feet above the floor) and found that the 2x4 that runs along and just above the drain tile ditch for the sump pump was soaked as are all the 2x4 vertical wall supports (anywhere from about 4 - 8 inches up). This runs the entire width of the house. I believe I will have to tear the rest of the drywall out and replace all the timbers, however, I want to keep this from happening again. I was told that the drainage ditch, which I can see has gravel in it, should have been capped off when they put it in.

Question: If I tear out the entire wall, how do I properly cap off the drainage ditch? I expect that I should also use treated lumber, at least for the floor portion of the wall support. Is that correct? Is there anything else I should do to keep this problem from happening?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 04:59 PM

My concern is the ditch big enough to Handel the water. Normally we cap of the ditch with 1 1/2 of Crete on top of the stone to keep the wetness out. Not sure how wide the "ditch is' Normally we use pieces of 2" to 3" Styrofoam to pour new floor to and then pull foam , fill stone up to an 1' or so to cap.

I didn't see if there was any insulation in the wall. A lot of this water seems like the classic case of a vapor barrier problem from inside the wall and building up on the lower portion. I also use a sill plate insulation under my treated bottom plate.

This is the proper way to insulates a basement which stops the moisture build up in the wall. It may be a two fold here on ditch size but my thoughts are if that much water was getting in there from the ditch alone then water should have showed up on the floor out from the wall. . Some good ref sites...

http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings...s/db/35017.pdf

YouTube - Best way to insulate a basement 800x600
    Nick Raspa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2009, 07:23 AM
    Thanks 21boat. There is insulation in the wall. Most of that was surprisingly still dry. There was water out into the floor when we first moved in several years ago. We had someone out and he advised that the sump pump pipe going out to the street was too small and that the roof gutters needed to be enlarged to industrial size. We had all that done at the time and haven't seen any water issues out into the floor area. This problem seems to be confined to the wall itself. I'll check out the two sites you suggested. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backup Water in Basement from Sump Pump [ 2 Answers ]

I had a house built 18 years ago over a wooded area along with 9 other homes in a culdasac. Each time we loose electricity, our basement floods within 2-4 hours. We have a sump pump and have burned up 3 pumps thus far. I believe it is possible a spring is under my home but not sure how I can...

Gutter/sump pump drainage [ 1 Answers ]

My house has a very common gutter/ sump pump drain system that drains gutter runoff directly to the curb via buried pvc from the gutter downspout to the street. Front and rear downspouts connect on each side, so there are 2 separate drain systems ( one for each side of the house.) My problem is...

Basement water / sump pump [ 1 Answers ]

We have water coming into our basement when it rains. Until recently, the water flowed into a drain in a recessed area of the basement and did not cause many problems except for a wet floor. Recently we ran a new drain line from the house to the city main which bypasses the drain in the basement....

Water damaged lamanated tile repair [ 2 Answers ]

Noticed that water from washer got underneath wooden lamanated tiles. Some tiles are starting to raise up. How do I make the repairs? Thanks

View more questions Search