Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aprilynn1980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 10:48 PM
    Teach me?
    I am an online student, going for my Bachelors degree in Human and Social Services. I am in the last week of my finance class, and so far I have surprised myself with good marks. I am not asking for someone to do this problem for me, but I can not figure out where to begin, I need some help, please walk me through this problem and teach me to do it.

7) A firm’s balance sheet and income statement for the year ending December 31, 1978, are as follows:

Balance Sheet ($ million)

Cash $10.0 Accounts payable $15.0 $15.0
    Accounts receivable 15.0 Salaries, benefits, & payroll taxes payable 3.0 3.0
    Inventories* 12.0 Long-term debt 15.0 15.0
    Fixed assets (net) 30.0 Stockholders' equity 34.0 34.0
    Total assets $67.0 Total liab. & stock. Equity $67.0 $67.0

Income Statement ($ million)

Net sales (all credit) $125.0 $125.0
    Cost of sales $75.0 75.0
    Selling, general, & admin. Expenses $30.0 30.0
    Other expenses 13.0 13.0
    Earnings after tax $7.0 $ 7.0

*Note: Average inventories also equal $12.0 (million).
    What’s the length of the firm’s cash conversion cycle?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2009, 12:22 AM

Here's an example:
    Foolish Fundamentals: Cash Conversion Cycle

One thing to note is that they're not actually showing where the bottom figure of each thing came from. It's the 3rd line divided by the 2nd line in all cases. (Like top one is inventory divided by COGS per day.)

Also, as a general rule, these are done using averages. The number in the 3rd line (again, inventory for the 1st one) should be the average of the beginning and end of the year. The statements you have are showing the end of '78, which also includes the end of '77. Remember that 12/31/77 is the same as 1/1/78.

Since analysis equations like this can vary, you should check your book for whatever ones they are using, as they may vary from what you see in the link or what I have just told you.

Give that a try and come back with your attempts or any specific questions.

(Oh, and "cost of sales" is the same as "cost of goods sold." There's differences in what companies call stuff too.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you teach an old dog new tricks? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, fellow dog lovers! I know that this issue has been around for a long time, but I am looking for some advice. My boyfriend and I met and hit it off right away because we are both crazy about our dogs and they are the same to each other. My little girl is a 3 year old shiba inu. I worked very...

How to teach teachers [ 3 Answers ]

I Must Lead A Teacher Training Course For 3 Days With A Group Of 15 Teachers.any Tips Or Ideas ?

How should I teach her about God? [ 7 Answers ]

In my school there is this girl that thinks about killing herself. She is in her brothers gang and cuts her arms. She has told people that she thinks about killing herself, and has almost killed someone. She is not dangerous anymore. I would really like to teach her about god. I am wondering...

How can I teach him to communicate? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship for just under 2 years. I really love this guy and have thoroughly enjoyed being with him... however, a problem that comes up periodically is that he seems to lack the ability to communicate about tough topics. We can chat and laugh about the normal things all day...

Should I teach? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if you could advise me concerning my current education situation. I'm a sophomore tunring into a junior at Rowan University and I was pursuing a major in English and certification to be a teacher. I wanted to be a high school or middle school English/Literature teacher, but I...

View more questions Search