Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srini_in_la Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Renting out the home
    If I rent my home, can I still get the tax benefits (mortgage interest and property tax). I don't have any incorporation.I'm an individual
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Aug 11, 2009, 04:59 PM

Costs operating rental real property can be used as deductions on an individual's US federal income taxes. Those can include depreciation on the building (including plumbing and HVAC equipment), landlord provided furnishings and maintenance costs (including mileage). Those deduction typically offset the income realized when the tenants pay rent.

Isolation of the property as an asset of a corporation makes those deductions apply to the corporation's taxes. The shareholders tax returns might only be permitted to postpone taxes on the corporation's revenue (the rent payments) until they realize the income through dividends or a stock sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting started renting a home [ 1 Answers ]

I have a house in Phila. PA. I am looking to rent it.I have never rented it ,therefor I need to know what I must do legally.Where do I start. I want to do everything by the book to protect myself against problems. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

The home I'm renting has been forclosed on. [ 4 Answers ]

I rented a home through property management. I was notified by the bank today that it has been forclosed on. I was never notified by property management or the landlord. What are my rights?

Renting a home going into foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I am renting a house and it got served foreclosure papers what should I do?

Renting a home in foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

Help me. I just found out the owner of a home I am renting is not paying the mortgage how can I find out where the home is in the foreclosure process? I am living in CA.

View more questions Search