Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shirlpax Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Aug 11, 2009, 11:18 AM
    Oh my aching back!
    I'm a 60 yr old female and3 days ago my lower back just started hurting. I'm very active and had lifted some tables and boxes the day before but had not felt any pain.the pain is not going down my legs and mostly hurts when I move suddenly or in certain ways. What can it be?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 12:49 PM

You need to do the r. I. c. e.

The R.I.C.E. Method of Acute Injury Treatment
    Rest: Resting is important immediately after injury for two reasons. First, rest is vital to protect the injured muscle, tendon, ligament or other tissue from further injury. Second, your body needs to rest so it has the energy it needs to heal itself most effectively.
    Ice: Use ice bags, cold packs or even a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a thin towel to provide cold to the injured area. Cold can provide short-term pain relief. It also limits swelling by reducing blood flow to the injured area. Keep in mind, though, that you should never leave ice on an injury for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. Longer exposure can damage your skin. The best rule is to apply cold compresses for 15 minutes and then leave them off for at least 20 minutes. (Read The Proper Use of ICE).
    Compression: Compression limits swelling, which slows down healing. Some people notice pain relief from compression as well. An easy way to compress the area of the injury is to wrap an ACE bandage over it. If you feel throbbing, or if the wrap just feels too tight, remove the bandage and re-wrap the area so the bandage is a little looser.
    Elevation: Elevating an injury reduces swelling. It's most effective when the injured area is raised above the level of the heart. For example, if you injure an ankle, try lying on your bed with your foot propped on one or two pillows.
    After a day or two of R.I.C.E. many sprains, strains or other injuries will begin to heal. But if your pain or swelling does not decrease after 48 hours, make an appointment to see your primary care physician or go to the emergency room, depending upon the severity of your symptoms.
    RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation Best Treatment for Acute Injuries

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water periods and aching Back pain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am aged 24 only the pill 5 years now. I would normally have normal periods, but in May my period was practually just water and spots of blood when I wiped. June my period last a day and was lighter than normal. I am now experience aching back pain as past 4 day what could this be.. :)

New crown, new bite, aching teeth [ 1 Answers ]

A month ago, my teeth felt completely fine. Then, because my dentist recommended it, I let him pull out an old filling and give me a temporary crown. (He said,"Better tow years too soon than two minute too late.") The molar stopped aching from all the work after a week, but the top and bottom...

Aching teeth 7 weeks [ 5 Answers ]

Hey there, I am 7 weeks pregnant and I have a very sore jaw and teeth - not sure if this is related but has anyone else had this when being pregnant? Any advice would be great.

Aching buttocks and legs [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, Im wondering if anyone knows what could be wrong with me. I've been to two doctors and they are baffled. This started last year and has now becoming more frequent, I've had about 4 episodes in the last 5 weeks. It's a feeling that just comes on without warning when I'm walking or standing. I...

View more questions Search