Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Aug 10, 2009, 08:10 PM
    My mentor does not reply my email
    Dear all,

My company assigns me a metor who is recently promoted as a VP, therefore he has been very busy and I understand it fully.

I had a few serious decision making that I was asking him for advice before, he didn't reply. This time I have a significant choice to make in my career, he is still not answering my email ( I sent it a week ago).

I don't stay in the same country as he does half of the time, but when I am back to his country, he does make time to meet me but only twice a year, an email every quarter. I always listen to his advice and gave him feedback, he is always pleased on my performance in the company too. He always says I will go very far in the career and all other young professionals should be like me, but I am still young and learning, I would like to receive more mentoring.

Am I being impatient or how do I get his advice? I want a stable mentor for my career!

Thanks,
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 10, 2009, 08:18 PM

A mentor should be on call for emergencies and encourage communication, if not every day, at least several times a week.

We will be your mentor! Ask us anything!
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 09:33 PM
    He may be busy, especially if he's just been promoted to a VP position. His new position is probably his priority at the moment rather than your professional dilemma.

You may need to speak to your HR Department about potentially assigning you a new mentor for the time being or speak to someone else.

Remember, he has his career too, so I would respectfully suggest that you need to curb your impatience and look for another solution.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 10:00 PM
    Hi, CFZD!

For what purpose were you assigned a mentor, please?

Knowing that will be helpful to us here in helping you the best.

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2009, 10:03 PM

You may need to speak to your HR Department about potentially assigning you a new mentor for the time being or speak to someone else.
    I thought about it, but I don't know if that is a good idea. How do I address the issues then? I think he is a great person to talk to, if I tell HR he is too busy to be my mentor I am afraid that is not nice.

Plus, company appointed him to be the one, it is written. Meeting a mentor twice a year, I don't think it is enough for my career development.

Aug 10, 2009, 10:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, CFZD!

For what purpose were you assigned a mentor, please?

Knowing that will be helpful to us here in helping you the best.

Thanks!
    Career development, I am on the "fast track" ( manangement training program for Young Professionals).
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CFZD View Post
    I thought about it, but I don't know if that is a good idea. How do I address the issues then? I think he is a great person to talk to, if I tell HR he is too busy to be my mentor I am afraid that is not nice.
    How will they deal with the issue if they don't know that there is a problem?
    As you know, that's their job.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 10:18 PM

You might want to send him another email expressing your disappointment that he has not responded to you.

I would then give him the opportunity to bow out if he feels that he can't dedicate the time needed to be an effective mentor.

I would thank him for the previous times he was there for you but express that you do want a mentor who is more readily available.

If done in a diplomatic way,I don't think he would be offended and he should understand and appreciate your position.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find a spiritual mentor in my community [ 3 Answers ]

How do I find a spiritual mentor in my community

I need a mentor. Looking into being and RN or Pharmacist [ 2 Answers ]

I'm definitely the type of person that needs a lot of guidance when it comes to planning and learning. I'd like to talk to someone that is a Registered Nurse in Washington, or a Pharmacist. If possible I'd like to e-mail with this person if I have questions, and just build a teacher/student...

No reply to my email! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I hope someone can help me. I was introduced to a guy through family frinds - we havet met but he emailed me about 5 days ago telling me about himself and said he would like to leave it to me to ask any quesitons. He also sent me a couple of his snaps. I replied telling him about myself, and...

Getting a mentor [ 1 Answers ]

I am 26 yrs. Old, I am interested in having someone mentor me in real estate. My interest are in fixing & flipping but doing it through contract for deeds. I mainly need taght in the legal writings and a-z paper work for closing and deed transfers.

How do I find a spiritual mentor in my community [ 5 Answers ]

I am a christian. I know what it means to be in the will of God . I also know unfortunately how to be in short of His glory . I am now coming back to the Lord again. Praise God. I am hanging on from a fresh meth condition again. I need someone in my area. I can call on. Can you please direct me to...

View more questions Search