Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 10, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Bring your boyfriend to work day.
    I am curious as to what people feel about office relationships? I work with someone that is having a relationship with another worker from a different office in a different city. Long distance relationship, yes. However, when he comes to town he comes in and works out of our office, sits in an office right outside her cube? Thoughts?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 10:33 AM

I don't see a problem unless they are creating one.
    Is he being professional and doing his job?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 10, 2009, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat View Post
    I am curious as to what people feel about office relationships? I work with someone that is having a relationship with another worker from a different office in a different city. Long distance relationship, yes. However, when he comes to town he comes in and works out of our office, sits in an office right outside her cube? Thoughts?
    If he weren't having a relationship with anyone in your office and came in to town from his other office and sat in an office right outside her cube, would it matter?

Aug 10, 2009, 10:39 AM

No it wouldn't matter and yes they are both professional. I am asking opinions based on something that is being discussed. Wanted a general idea of how people took it. Thanks for your responses.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 10:44 AM

My company has a very relaxed dating policy. So I've seen plenty of couples work together (even a few married couples). For me, it all depends on the couple. I've worked with some couples that are so professional it took me a while before I even realized they were together. Then I've seen other couples who like to make sure everyone knows. And everyone does, because they are constantly hanging out in the break room for each other's breaks, and taking time to flirt, and just generally being unproductive because they're together and seem to feel the need to follow one another around all day. Those are the couples I can't stand.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 10, 2009, 10:58 AM
    No it wouldn't matter and yes they are both professional. I am asking opinions based on something that is being discussed. Wanted a general idea of how people took it. Thanks for your responses.
    If he worked for some other company and sashayed in and took over an office, I'd have a problem with that.

Aug 10, 2009, 11:06 AM

Agreeed if you were just bringing your boyfriend in and he wasn't associated with your company that would be odd. Typically when people come in and work out of our office it is because they have business to attend in our office, is it odd that there is no business to attend other than being close to the person?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 10, 2009, 11:11 AM
    agreeed if you were just bringing your boyfriend in and he wasn't associated with your company that would be odd. Typically when people come in and work out of our office it is because they have business to attend in our office, is it odd that there is no business to attend other than being close to the person?
    What does he do while he's in the office? Does he work on the computer, type out stuff, or just play Free Cell? Do you even know? Don't you like to be close to people you like? If the two are acting professionally, I see no problem that he chooses an office near her.

Is the bone of contention that he sits "too close" to her?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 11:14 AM
    My opinion would be it's not my business and I wouldn't discuss it with anyone who wanted to gossip about it in the office.
    Unless it interfers with work, I don't have a problem and it still really wouldn't be my business.
    They are surely not the first dating couple in the office, they surely won't be the last.
    There are many husbands/wives that run and work in businesses together.

Aug 10, 2009, 11:29 AM

He is also working, remotely while visiting. The problem being discussed is, is it professional? If you have clearance from your boss to work from home while on vacation wouldn't it suffice to work from her home, while she go in to work. If you weren't in the same company you wouldn't go in with her so why do it at all?
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 11:32 AM

If he comes to town is it just to see her and not at all work related?

Aug 10, 2009, 11:40 AM

Correct, not at all work related. Stays for a while... week or so and has clearance from boss to work remotely while out of his office and visiting. So instead of working at her home comes in and works out of the office. I am asking these questions simply because I have two coworkers that debate it from different perspectives, I thought it would be interesting to ask here because I thought I would get a wide variety of response. Interesting so far. Thanks for the comments
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 11:42 AM

I still think that it is up to the boss.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 12:12 AM
    I think it's up to the person who is the Manager.

My husband has, from time to time, come and worked from my office when he has been in my geographical area. There is a spare desk and computer, and he does it because he likes to be close to me. No one in my office bats an eyelid, and he doesn't disturb what's going on at all.

Mind you, it's a small office and we all get on well together.
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Aug 12, 2009, 10:43 PM

OP,

No one has done that in my office, but my take will be NOT MY BUSINESS, there are so many other things to take care and pay attention to at work, I wouldn't even ask who that is!

Unless he dresses like a ninja :D or extremely hot :D

Focus on your own business!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I work it out with my boyfriend or leave him [ 12 Answers ]

Hey everyone I have been knowning my boyfriend for 8 years we have been friend first but lately in the year in a half we have been pushing far apart from each other and we fight none stop we fight about anything. I started to be real close friends with this other guy and his so sweet and caring and...

Boyfriend flirting at work [ 10 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for 11 months now and we love each other. Spend pretty much every minute of the day together. We also work together. We do not live together though. At the beginning of our relationship I thought he and this other woman liked each other. Later on he ended up asking me...

How do I bring back the old us? Bring back the long convo's and the activeness? [ 6 Answers ]

Bman 800 here call me bryan OK I've been dating the love of my life for almost six months and I have nown her for about a year now and I think the relationship is getting tired I am NOT breaking it off we love each other more than anything in the world she lost her virginity to me... I unfortunetly...

Bring your daughter to work day - Iraq style [ 1 Answers ]

Army Holds Annual 'Bring Your Daughter To War' Day | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Can I bring my tattooed boyfriend to my law office's holday party? [ 6 Answers ]

I work at a small law firm as a legal assistant, and our holiday party is coming up. I have been working for the firm for over a year and helped to plan the party, which is going to be at a local bar. Everyone expects me to bring my boyfriend. No one at work has met him, but they ask about him. No...

View more questions Search