Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2011, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadStrongBoy View Post
    galveston:

That seems like a fair question. And I presume you're implying that the Bible, which is full of prophecy, should therefore be quite straightforward to understand. Maybe so according to your way of thinking. But just a casual reading of many books like Isaiah, or Jeremiah will quickly tell you that God's meaning is anything but simple and straightforward.
    Yep. Ezekiel? Don't get me started! Were I not a devoted Bible believer, I'd be asking what kind of drugs he was on and why he wasn't sharing.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 9, 2011, 06:47 PM
    Sure, much prophecy has symbolism. It is not too difficult to separate symbols from literal. Some literal statements have meaning other than what is immediately obvious too. That is where the Holy Spirit comes in. He gives insight into the meaning, and also directs our thoughts to other passages that illuminate the subject under discussion.
    As far as Ezekiel is concerned, I suppose you are referring to his vision of the wheels, etc. How do you know he wasn't describing exactly what he was seeing? Even if he couldn't identify what he was looking at, that doesn't mean it was merely symbolic. What if God allowed him to see a scene that would be perfectly normal in the setting of Heaven? The point of that vision was to impress on Ezekiel that he was dealing with a God who is powerful and majestic. I think it is probable that Ezekiel got to see God on His throne, or at least as much as is possible for the human mind to tolerate, but that is just my opinion on this.

Anyway, that vision was not part of the message that Ezekiel was to deliver.
    HeadStrongBoy Posts: 351, Reputation: -4

Feb 9, 2011, 06:59 PM
    galveston:
    Anyway, that vision was not part of the message that Ezekiel was to deliver.
    Deliver to whom ? To the Jews of that day ? Perhaps, perhaps not.

But it (the vision) is included in our Bibles today. Therefore it is definitely God's purpose that it be delivered to us.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 9, 2011, 07:11 PM
    Comment on HeadStrongBoy's post
    No disagreement from me on this.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2011, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadStrongBoy View Post
    classyT:

When I say "compare scripture with scripture" I'm paraphrasing 1 Corinthians 2:13. In case you didn't know.

And further, the purpose of comparing is not to determine how reliable a particular passage is by seeing how many others agree with it. Because if we believe that God Himself wrote every word, then the reliability of every word is certainly not in question.
    Oh NO! I agree Headstrong the reliability of every word is NOT in question, but man's interpretation certainly is. Some of the things that you think and say and believe do NOT line up with all scripture that is properly put into context. At least that is my opinion.
    HeadStrongBoy Posts: 351, Reputation: -4

Feb 10, 2011, 01:02 AM
    classyT:
    some of the things that you think and say and believe do NOT line up with all scripture
    Of course I agree that I can be corrected by scripture. If I can be shown how that scripture relates to a doctrine I hold. There are many parts of scripture that I'm not at all familiar with. For example The Song of Solomon, many Psalms, large portions of all the major prophets, much of Leviticus, Numbers, etc.

But one group of doctrines that I have become very certain of are related to God's plan of salvation and His plan of judgment. If we could discuss the specifics of those doctrines in particular..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many times should she eat a day? [ 2 Answers ]

How many times should my miniature poodle eat? She refuses to eat today.

How many times [ 2 Answers ]

Just wanted to know how many times a person can file bankruptcy to save there home if a previous bankrupcty has been dismissed

How many times? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I was just wondering how many times we landed on the moon, Thank you:D

In reference to bad vibes [ 3 Answers ]

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that it does this while sitting idling or stopped at a light.

Scripture reference [ 2 Answers ]

What scipture in the bible talks about women not cutting their hair

View more questions Search