Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momoflex Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 04:22 PM
    How can I add my daughters father to her birth certificate if he is deceased?
    My daughter's father died when she was a year old. He wasn't on her birth certificate because I was very young (and dumb) when I had her. Is there any way to add him now. She is now 13 and wants his name. His family supports it.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 04:29 PM

You will need to petition the local court. This might not be possible, however. There are issues involved with deceased and survivor benefits which she would possibly be eligible for.

Contact a local lawyer. Its possible, but not a slam dunk.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 04:52 PM

You may need DNA to prove he was the father. Was he in the service ?
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    You may need DNA to prove he was the father. Was he in the service ?
    They weren't regularly doing DNA sampling 12 years ago in the service. This might not be possible.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    They werent regularly doing DNA sampling 12 years ago in the service. This might not be possible.
    Although it may be true as far as the service is concerned. They did do some back then. Mostly DNA can come from other family members on the fathers side to prove there is a line in place. When you have nothing you have to start somewhere.

Also she may not need anything but a death certificate for the name change part. Its only the adding of his name to the borth certificate that it may make a difference.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 05:06 PM

Multiple samples from the fathers immediate relatives might be able to be used. It wouldn't set precedent. This is really going to require a sharp lawyer though.

Aug 9, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Thanks guys! He wasn't in the military and I really don't care about the benefits. Just the name change. I guess I will get an attorney. I was hoping someone would have a simple fix for this complex problem!

It cracks me up that you said "i'm not lawyer, but I play one on t.v" because I use it all the time! Again, thanks!

Aug 9, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Forget that last comment! Apparently I can't read! You said you Don't play one on TV! Haha
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 06:35 PM

I COULD play one on TV... ;)

If its just a name change, you can do that without the birth certificate change adding the father.

At the end of the day, if you aren't interested in the benefits the birth certificate is just a piece of paper and it doesn't make your child have or not have a father any more. Paper doesn't change biology.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Deceased father's name on the birth certificate [ 19 Answers ]

My son passed away on 7-5-08, his girlfriend just gave birth to his daughter on 2-21-09. The social worker at the hospital (Kaiser) is telling us that our sons name cannot be on the baby's birth certificate. We live in California. The girlfriend is very upset and is refusing to sign the certificate...

Father not around at birth. Want to add him to birth certificate/change babies name [ 1 Answers ]

At the time I had my son 5 months ago his father was not in the picture so I opted to not give him his last name or put his name on the birth certificate... however now his father came back and we are working things out.. how do I go about changing the birth certificate and my sons last name... do...

Addition of husband on daughters birth certificate. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I had been living apart for 3 years. Despite this we slept together and I fell pregnant. My son is 2 months old. He knows he is his, but I didn't put his name on the certificate- I left it blank (he never wanted the baby). We are now reconsiled and I want him on it- and want to amend...

View more questions Search