Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missi1705 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Husband adopting step son
    I was reading another lady's question about her husband adopting his non biological son. My question is very similar, however, my question is... the biological father was never there, NEVER signed the birth certificate, and my son has MY maiden name, and I have NO idea where this guy is to even have him sign the papers if there were any for him to sign. How does he have rights if he never was there for anything? And what can I do to get this done?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 04:03 PM

Yeah - he sure does. This actually makes it harder since you will have to serve him via publication (expensive).

Have a lawyer draw up the motion. Your lawyer will be able to tell you the details of your court district's requirement of service.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 9, 2009, 04:34 PM

He has rights because of biology. Before an adoption can be processed the court needs to be sure the bio father does not want to be a parent. Therefore, the courts will want every attempt to be made to contact the father. That's why you need an attorney to make sure that every attempt needs to be made to get his paermission.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 04:38 PM

Yes it would be a lot easier if you knew where he was, but now you will have to do a search according to the court rules. If not found, use of publication for notification, which can at times cost in the 1000's.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting my step son [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering what the steps were to adopting my husbands son he is 12 almost 13 and lives with us now we haven't had contact with his birth mum for at least 6 years as he was living with my husbands mother until this year. We both want this to happen but I don't know what to do, do we need...

Adopting My Step-Son [ 1 Answers ]

My sons bio-father pasted away when he was 4 months old. I recently got married and my husband wants to adopt him. How do we do this the cheapest, easiest, fastest way? All help and advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you, Shirley

Adopting Step-Children [ 1 Answers ]

I have two step-daughters who I have raised since they were 5 and 2. They are both British nationals and have their green cards to live in the US. Their natural father has no parental rights in England, my wife and him were never married. He pays no child support. How would I go about adopting...

Adopting my Step Son [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have had full custody of my son for many years and his Bio-mother is not involved in his life except for an occasional phone call every 6 months or so. She recently agreed to give up rights of him so that I may adopt him. We are in Texas. Is there an easy way to do this or do...

Adopting a step daughter [ 4 Answers ]

My step daughter's Father is now dead and she would like me to adopt her so that she can genuinely feel part of our family. I would also like this to happen but what is involved in the legal process and how long does this take. Also is there a large cost involved?

View more questions Search