Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Aug 9, 2009, 08:28 AM
    Strange issue with pages refreshing themselves (read for more)
    I am having an off and on problem with my computer. Its very annoying. Sometimes when I click my mouse anywhere especially the address bar whatever page I am on refreshes. Sometimes If I hit any button (no I am not hitting the f5 key) it will do the same thing. Sorry didn't mean to post the thread yet. Another thing is that I can just be typing like how I am in this forum for example and suddenly the page will act as if someone is holding down the enter key and the scrollbar will go crazy. I have to keep restarting my computer to make things work back to normal but then it starts back up again. Oh and I can't even go in the start menu without a program opening simply by hovering over it.

I have run spybot SD and Malwarebytes and removed some spywarecalled Double D and Mywaywebsearch and also some antivirus override thing, but I am still having this problem. It all started yesterday right after I updated my adobe flash.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 12:54 PM

First thing I would check is what you may have in your startup items that start with the PC

Start, run, type msconfig and hit enter
    -go to startup tab
    -Look at items in list for anything out of the ordinary

If not sure, you can post what you have there here

Does this only happen when browsing?

I would tend to think something with the adobe install
    -Did you install adobe flash player and shockwave or just flash?
    -How did you update flash (what process)?

Will get you back going

Aug 9, 2009, 02:48 PM

Thank you seahwk for your reply.

I have checked startup. Didn't see anything odd going on. I thought maybe it was the flash update also but that turned out not to be the case.
    Its not just browser pages this is happening with.

Like I said above items in my start menu open up just by me hovering over them.

I'm wondering if its all to do with my keyboard because it died on me again so I unplugged it and am using the on screen keyboard. Since then I haven't had refresh issues for a while now. Course that doesn't explain what was going on with my mouse unless whatevers wrong with my keyboard would effect it?
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 03:24 PM

A reg. keyboard or a wireless one?

Do you have another (regular/oldschool) keyboard you can borrow from someone/somewhere that you can try to see if that problem still happens?

In a software sense, you can try to do a system restore back to the time/date before you installed the flash update to see if problem would still happen.

But you did say keyboard died, how?

Aug 9, 2009, 05:59 PM

Regular keyboard.. It stopped working for a little bit like the green lights for the num lock, caps lockand scroll lock all started flashing at once and then I couldn't type anything.

Ive already completely uninstalled flash and that didn't fix the problem.

Ive also removed yet another entry of the windows firewall override after getting a message from windows that my fire wall was disabled and I had no virus protection even though I do.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 07:29 PM

What antivirus and firewall?

Where did you get update for the flash to start with?

Did you check to see if they were disabled or not?
    -if so, were you able to restart or make sure they were working?

If you could, post a Hijackthis log file here (download, run and post a pic of the log file)
    Trend Micro HijackThis 1.99.1 - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Seems something there

Aug 10, 2009, 07:55 AM

I use Norton..

After getting the no virus protection and disabled firewall alerts I did check and Norton showed as still protecting and firewall was still on.
    I also checked in windows security and saw for some reason the box I had checked saying Im using a separate fire wall was unchecked.
    After removing the firewall override with Spybot SD and restarting the system it went back to normal.

The flash update is from straight from Adobe. When I logged on there was a message from Adobe that popped up on my screen saying it needed to update so I clicked to accept. I really don't think that's it though because llike I completely removed it and the problem was still happening.

Since I have unplugged my keyboard and using this on screen thing I'm not having the refresh problem. Just takes longer to type though. I also tried plugging in to different port but that doesn't help.

I do suspect that this gaming site I have played on recently is where I got the override thing from. Is there a way I can find out if its from them for sure?

Aug 10, 2009, 07:56 AM
    here's my hijack log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 10:54:48 AM, on 8/10/2009
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16876)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\AluSchedulerSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\osk.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSSWCHX.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = Yahoo!
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = Pageflakes
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = MSN.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = Bing
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Yahoo! SearchBar Home Page
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = Bing
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = MSN.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = Yahoo!
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\2.6\coIEPlg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\IDS\IPSBHO.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\2.6\CoIEPlg.dll
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton 360\osCheck.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKCU\.. \Run: [ccleaner] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\.. \Run: [Symantec NetDriver Warning] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDWarn.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\.. \Run: [Symantec NetDriver Warning] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDWarn.exe (User 'Default user')
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
    O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/S...in/AvSniff.cab
    O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec Script Runner Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/tech...bs/tgctlsr.cab
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/S.../bin/cabsa.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/ge...sh/swflash.cab
    O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\AluSchedulerSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1ca0f9a9c450430) (gupdate1ca0f9a9c450430) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: iolo Product Update Service (ioloProductUpdate) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LuComServer_3_4.EXE
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

--
    End of file - 5653 bytes
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 08:29 AM

In your startup tab in msconfig, I would suggest to uncheck anything related to java (jqs.exe, jp2, jsched, etc.. )

-You can also safely uncheck anything related to adobe (acrobat) anything adobe without issue

Ccleaner would be optional whether to have in startup or not as you can run the program manually

With the hihack this log, you can safely check all the items below without worry and click the fix button

O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/ge...sh/swflash.cab

O23 - Service: iolo Product Update Service (ioloProductUpdate) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1ca0f9a9c450430) (gupdate1ca0f9a9c450430) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe (file missing)
    After all changes above, close all opens windows and restart the computer.

----------------------------------------
    Never mentioned if this was a PS/2 keyboard or a USB keyboard

If same issue would be happening with the keyboard attached, try another keyboard to see if issue still exists

Should be getting close

Aug 10, 2009, 08:24 PM
    Seahwk, unchecking that stuff in the start menu seems to have fixed my problem. I was able to use my keyboard and type with no problem after that. I have also removed those other things as they aren't really useful to me. Thank you very much for you help :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 08:32 PM

All changes above would not make any changes to OS but in the end I feel it was below that was giving you the issue

Your system should be a little more responsive as well at this point

Glad it worked out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange fuel issue with van [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1995 dodge caravan and one day I drove it for awhile and when I shut it off to go into a store I was unable to start it coming out. It sounded like it wasn't getting gas so I took the line off before the filter and turned the key a few times. No gas was being pushed through. I figured...

Google search being hijacked to strange web pages [ 2 Answers ]

When I do a Google search, the usual page of results appears, but when I click on any of the results, instead of openning the page on which I clicked, a strange page appears which seems to be a commercial search or list of possible links. Is this a spyware invasion? How do I stop this from...

Strange Electrical Issue [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: Wondering if anyone can shed some light (no punn intended) on a very strange electrical problem I am having. I purchased a duplex last summer that was previously owned by my parents. When I first moved in I noticed that on occasion the lights in the kitchen would flicker and even go...

Strange Hot Water Issue, Please Help... [ 8 Answers ]

OK, I've searched these threads and haven't really been able to find a problem like mine. If there is and I just couldn't find it, I apologize and would appreciate someone directing me to it. I just bought a condo. It's one year old, but I'm the first to live in it. 3 bed/3 bath. The...

View more questions Search