Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mantisca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2006, 09:48 PM
    theft under 5000 ontario ?
    I recentlly was held in jail for 5 days due to a child support issue during this time I was brought back into court before my 5 days was up and was charged with theft under 5000 x2 now these charges where from where I worked as a superintendent over 5 years ago. The crowns disclosure stated they had been activlly searching for me for the past 5 years through drivers license and other means but the stupid thing is my drivers license was always up to date so why they could not find me before this I have no idea. Part of the crowns disclosure also includes letters I supposedlly wrote to the landlord but none of them where signed plus they where typed on a computer which I did not own at this time The discloser says I could be the only one that could have stoled this rent money and a video multiplexer cause the landlord states I was the only other one with keys to the maintenance room which was untrue and also that I left so quicklly but I left the job due to the building being full of drug users and drunks and really was tired of being threatened by them since all I was getting paid for this job was free rent and the building has a history of criminal activity. I have no criminal record but I was wondering if there is a statue of limitations on this and if they have a case against me since it has been this long.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2006, 05:33 AM
    Hello man:

In the US, the statute of limitations runs from when the crime is discovered until they issue a warrant or arrest someone. Once a warrant is issued, the statute of limitations stops. The warrant lasts forever.

I'll bet you guy's operate the same.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2006, 06:09 AM
    Building on what Excon said, the landlord of the building apparently pressed charges on you. A warrant was then issued for your arrest. Since this was a small case, the police did not pursue it very actively (that doesn't matter by the way). Which is very typical. So what happens, is you get arrested on a different charge. SOP is to run your name through the system to see if there are any outstanding warrants. And they find one.

So what you have to do now, is get an attorney who can, hopefully get the case dismissed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000 x7 [ 23 Answers ]

About a month ago I was charged with theft under $5000 times 7 (cause I had items from 7 stores). The store the caught me called the police because I had items from other stores besides there's, and the police gave me a court date and a fingerprint date (I have already gone to get fingerprinted),...

Theft Under 5000 [ 7 Answers ]

My son was arrested for stealing cigarettes from a store he worked in. The cops came into his apartment and searched his place with no search warrant and then arrested him. He is 18 years old and we live in Canada. What should I do? Hire a lawyer? Could he get jail for this? Yes, it was a moment...

Theft under 5000.. [ 7 Answers ]

Last year, I was charged with theft under 5000. And just as usual I went to court , but the thing is that this was my first offence. So they were very easy with me, I had to do some diversion program and you I did that. When back to court and I was free too go. Some people told me that when I...

Theft under 5000 [ 4 Answers ]

Today I had a friend arrested for theft under 5000 The situation is: She was in a large grocery store, she put all her grocery in a plastic bag and was looking at the flower section INSIDE the store when the security arrested her and then the police took her and detained her in a cell for the...

Theft under 5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello 7 years ago I stole something and got caught... I was charged with theft under 5000 and I had to pay back the money, do community service and see a probation officer. I can't remember if this was a conviction or not, and whether I need a pardon... I was told by someone that I don't need a...

View more questions Search