Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Beach Lover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Outdoor Shower Drainage
    We just bought a raised ranch in a RI with an outdoor shower. The lower level of the house has seemed damped, and a dehumidifier has been helping, but this weekend we noticed the carpet in one closet was VERY damp - and it was right next to the wall with the outdoor shower, above! We are thinking the shower drainage is poor, and/or there is a problem with the foundation.

What needs to be done, and who should we call?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2009, 06:05 PM

If you have a well keep all water off and see if the pressure gage drops and the well kicks on. If its township water off and see if the meter still slowly turns. If so then a small leak. This will help taking that out of the picture.
    To do a slow test for the drainage can you not use that shower and see if that changes things. Of course if the house drainage is also hooked in that line this will not be a good test.

The person to call is a plumber. Do the pressure/usage test so when the plumber gets there he has more to go on.

Can you give better details on the shower and the condition its in or a Picture would be much better. It cold be as simple as the seal around the drain is bad. How often is this shower used?

Get back so everyone here has more to go on..
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 07:23 AM

There should be stop and waste valves for the shower some where inside the house. Turn these off and wait to see if dampness goes away. Will a few days.
    Sounds like someone either forgot to turn off during winter months or turned off but did not properly drain pipes. Now you have a busted pipe due to freezing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do to repair slow tub/shower drainage? [ 1 Answers ]

When my bathtub or shower is used the water takes forever to drain out. I have tried using liquid plumber and it helped only slightly. What else can I do?

How to install a new drainage for a shower. [ 1 Answers ]

This will be done in the basement. My concern is how deep the pipes have to be and where I shoud connect this drain?

Shower drainage slow [ 4 Answers ]

We removed our old tub/shower and put in a new shower stall only. We moved the shower to the opposite wall and had to move some plumbing and the sewer hook up. The couple times we used it it worked fine. Now it drains very very slowly. This is what we did. We moved the shower drain...

Standing bath shower is filled with drainage stuff-Please help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got quite a situation going here. I own single family house (Rambler Type), and have a main level and a Basement. The Main level has two full bath rooms and the Basement has one full bathroom (standing bath and a toilet sink). We rarely use the Bath room in the Basement. It is only used by...

View more questions Search