Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thejohnburke Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Leaking PVC & Copper From Furnace
    Here is a link to some pictures of my furnace.
    FURNACE pictures by thejohnburke - Photobucket

There are two pvc pipes running out of the furnace. One is obviously for the drainage pan below. Neither pan nor pipe has any water and seem fine. The other pvc pipe, the one shown in close up, with a curve to it, has either a leak or condensation all over it.

The copper tubes within the furnace, labeled FURNACE COPPER TUBES in the pics, are mostly moist too. Is this normal?

The copper tube wrapped in black, labeled WRAPPED COPPER TUBE in pics, is also wet. This tube runs from here in the attic, down into the basement and out to the AC Unit. It leaks the entire way. I don't know if this is water brought in by the AC UNIT or pushed out by the Furnace.

Does anyone have insight into these two pipes and why there is so much leakage or condensation.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2009, 03:06 PM

The PVC tube with the bend in it is the drain line for the condensation that forms on the cool tubes in the AC coil, just like the moisture that forms on an Ice Tea glass on a hot humid summer day. And this is very normal, the higher the humidity the more condensation yoj will have.

The one PVC pipe that is connected to the pan under the AC coil is an overflow tube, this is there in case the other drain line stops up the overflow will not drain out onto your ceiling. It is carried out to a conspiciuous place so you will see it and know that there is a problem.

The copper wrapped in black rubbery stuff is the return line that carries the freon back to the outdoor unit after it has gone through the AC coil. It is a little unusual that there might be more moisture on this pipe than just damp. If it is dripping onto your ceiling you can wrap it with more of the same kind of material that you can buy at most large Hardware stores.

There is one thing that might make the place pipe have too much moisture on it and that is the fact that the freon loevel in your AC unit is low and is causing the coils to freeze over and causing just too much condensation, in this case you would need an AC tech to come out and charge the AC unit to the proper amount of freon.

If this info helps you please let me know.

Aug 8, 2009, 04:14 PM
    That makes me feel better. I'll call someone soon.

Aug 8, 2009, 04:16 PM

This is probably a stupid question, but if I take the metal off my ac unit outside, the grid that surrounds the fan is all dirty and grimy. I should probably clean that off, right? Is there a particular method or can I just sweep it or spray it?
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2009, 07:38 PM

If you are talking about the part that looks like a car radiator you should wash that out. If it looks like more that dust, I mean maybe some oil or something, you should probably spray it with some cleanser of some kind, a strong mixture of 409 would be good. If it is only dust or dirt or grass clippings you can spray it with water using a hose sprayer

Be sure that your AC unit is turned off at the breaker box, not just at the thermostat. Try not to get much water up by the fan motor or electric wiring. Let it dry for an hour before you turn the power back on.

If you feel like I have helped you please rate this answer.

Aug 8, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Ugh, I'd love to rate you. Just tell me how. I don't see any rate buttons.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 07:51 PM

At the bottom of my answers is a square that says "Rate this Answer"

I hope my information helped you in some way.

You don't have to rate this answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a leaking copper water pipe be seal from the inside? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3/4 inch copper pipe that is leaking in a spot very difficult to access. It rises vertically behind a masonry wall that would be a big job to go through to access the leak. It ends in an outside faucet for a garden hose. The horizontal line that it comes off continues on to feed 2...

Leaking copper shower pipe [ 17 Answers ]

Well, I just finished ripping out some tile and mixing some JB Weld. This morning I heard a hissing noise inside my shower wall. I ripped out a couple tiles and found a pin hole leak from a copper pipe inside my shower wall spraying the drywall. The house is about 20 years old and the leak is not...

90 Degree copper elbow leaking [ 17 Answers ]

Hi everyone, this has been a great place for help. We noticed a leak in our ceiling last night, and what we found is a "OLD" 90 degree copper elbow is leaking. Right at the joint. It is pretty tight up there, with the floor joices al around it, so I wouldn't want to solder. Is there any kind of...

Leaking copper pipe at joint [ 1 Answers ]

I have a slow leak from my supply pipe to my kitchen faucet. It's at the joint. I have copper pipes. What's the best way to plug the leak? Thanks very much

Copper Pipe Threads leaking [ 4 Answers ]

I just installed a new shower regulator after moving the copper piping. The solder joints are holding but the threads on one side of the regulator are seeping (about 1 drip a min). Looks like the teflon tape missed a thread to two... I can't take it apart and try again because it's affixed to...

View more questions Search