Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marmar51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2004, 02:48 AM
    PC Reboot Randomly by itself
    Hello Guys, I have a problenm with my machine. I have Asus MotherBoard with P4 1.7 CPU, 1 G DDR Ram , 64 MB All in WOnder ATI Radeon 8500 DV, Audigy Sound blaster Platinum , D Link Fax Modem , USB Hub , DLink Network Card. My Problem is that while working on Windows XP or 2000 Pro , the system will reboot randomly, sometimes after 10 minutes and some times after 2 or 3 hours. I am checking the event Logs but nothing is there . I need help please ASAP since this problem is bothering me, I formatted the HD and Installed Xp again but same problem. I installed 2000 , and I still have same problem
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 6, 2004, 10:24 PM
    Try upgradeing the BIOS on the motherboard. Sometimes incorrect or outdated settings can cause fluctuations in system performace.
    fyogi1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2004, 07:41 AM
    I had a buddy who kind of had the same problem. It was his CPU fan. Although he was getting the blue screen of death first. Just another place to check.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Oct 17, 2004, 10:48 AM
    Random reboots are typically caused by one of the following: Overheating, bad motherboard, corrupt operating system or bad hard drive. First, open the case and check the CPU fan to see if it is spinning correctly and a full speed. Next, examine the motherboard capacitors for any signs of bulging and or leaks on the board.

You may rule out the MB and CPU fan by alternately, swapping out the hard drive into the PC if you happen to have an extra one around with an operating system installed. If it works fine after the swap, then you have just narrowed down where the issue lies.
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Oct 17, 2004, 11:41 AM
    I would not "update" the BIOS for this problem. If your PC reboots during the process, your motherboard will be ruined.
    Checking for cooling problems or a defective power supply is the right thing to do.
    In addition (while the PC is open), reseat the memory modules.
    carlos4285 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2004, 10:36 AM
    Overheating
    An overheating cpu can cause your computer to shut down unexpectedly. However, if you have checked it and you are still having this problem you might want to check the cooling fan on you gpu. The gpu is on you video card and can cause the same problem. This is a fairly new problem that has shown up with newer video cards because the gpu's on them generate so much more heat than before. If your video card does not have a fan on it you need one. All you have to do to check if it's getting too hot is ground yourself and touch the heatsink. Also, make sure that your case is properly ventilated. Add a fan if you have a spot for one. I doubt that your problems are being caused by other hardware problems but is it is possible. Good luck :cool:
    silvajp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 01:14 PM
    I'm seeing similar behavior, but it only happens if I am playing a game like WoW or LOTR-Online. I've checked the temps on my CPU, GPU, and case but they are fine, even under heavy load. Personally I doubt it's a software problem, but I did update my video and sound drivers, but that did not help.

Maybe it's a power supply problem. Maybe it's close to the limit of what it can handle, so I took out my sound card and switched to a lower power video card, that seemed to stop the problem. Putting back one or both of the removed cards made the problem come back.

I've also disconnected my reset switch just in case it was flakey, but it did not make a difference.

One other thing, it's not uncommon for my PC to restart exactly when my room Air Conditioner starts it's compressor, but this does not always happen. It happened yesterday twice in a row, and it seemed like the AC compressor made a lot more noise starting up than it has this morning. Maybe it's just subjective and a coincidence, or maybe since the sun was shining onto this side of the house last night, the AC was working harder, and when the compressor kicks in it causes a big ripple in the house AC lines.
    silvajp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 12:39 AM
    Since my previous post I replace my $20 Hercules 500W Power Supply with a $110 Antec Trio 550W, and the (somewhat) random restarts are gone. I've stressed it a lot to be sure. Next I'll put the old one back in to see if the problem comes back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC randomly shut down due to thermal problem [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, My PC will randonly shut down once in a while since few months ago. Recently the situation getting serious. The PC shut down not less than 5 times in 3 days. The PC just shut down without any warning and when I boots it again, the cpu will make some "siren-like" noise for few seconds....

Thermostat resets randomly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a strange problem with my thermostat. Recently I purchased a Noma programmable thermostat (Mod#52-2558-8) and installed it replacing the existing analog control. Problem is it resets randomly about 1-2 times a day. My setup is (don't laugh) an Olsen gas furnace (Mod#BAS125) which...

PC Randomly Shuts Down... [ 22 Answers ]

Components: Thermaltake Shark Aluminium Full Tower Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard Corsair 2GB DDR TwinX (2x1GB) XFX GeForce 7800GT Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6V300F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache...

Computer Randomly Shutting Off [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I work with computers and networks on a regular basis, so I have a decent idea with what I am doing, but I am no professional. The PC I'm trying to work with randomly shuts down, usually only when in use, not when idle. The machine did have a worm on it, but the hard drive was...

Reboot [ 1 Answers ]

My computer starts booting into Windows 2000 but won't go past the initial screen. I replaced the power supply and tried reinstalling the OS but it still won't boot into the OS. I have tried replacing the hard drive also and nothing doing. What should I do?

View more questions Search