Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KEIZ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 03:57 AM
    Does a "post dated cheque" comply with the definition of a cheque?
    Is such a cheque a valid negotiable instrument?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 7, 2009, 04:01 AM
    Yes.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 04:04 AM

In the USA it does but the bank or whoever gives you the check is not obligated to hold it until the date anymore. Banks cash post dated checks before the date all the time anymore.

Some tellers will catch that it is post dated and not, but once it is cashed they have a oh well too bad attitude. At least in my state they do that. Post dated checks really aren't legal in the eyes of the bank at least in the sense of if there is a dispute, you the one that post dated usually won't win.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make entry for post dated cheque? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello Friends, Last week I faced an interview for accountant post. In that I was asked to pass an entry for post dated cheque. What is the answer for this queston? Thank You

Accounting of Post Dated Cheque in Tally [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know about PDC entry in Tally. Tally have a option to enter PDC with just pressing Ctrl+T with a future date. Here is my query... 1.If the future date is above the prevaling Financial Year, how we go about this?? 2.When it will be displayed in Supplier Ledger?? Thank you

Dated cheque [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cheque dated from 2004 from canada, just woundering if the cheque expires after a certain date or it just stays good indefinetly.

View more questions Search