Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Monkey Pads Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Am I just running away from my marriage for no reason?
    I've never thought it was a good idea to leave a marriage when you have children unless there is abuse, gambling, alcoholism, infidelity.

Well I'm in a 3.5 year commonlaw 'marriage' and I've fought so hard to keep things afloat. My husband is in the military and he's gone a lot on courses. (Not abroad). I'm used to him leaving but it's the times when he is home that make things hard. He bulldozes right in, makes all the decisions and doesn't care what I think or say. I don't nag him - yet he's extremely defensive and always wants everything done his way. When I work around the house he'll change everything and move it around to his liking etc...

He is extremely judgmental and never thinks I'm good enough and he is really hard on my son from a previous marriage (who is the bookworm type vs. my husband's hard-nosed macho-ness) We were very in love when we moved in together and had an unplanned pregnancy. We've been to counseling and I'm in shape and I'm very open to him. As for me - well I'm definitely not as fun as I used to be and have begun totally self-editing and have compromised everything I stand for just to keep the peace. (which has also backfired).

He's begun isolating me (he's very jealous) and freaks out when I mention going back to work. We've had so many blowouts and he's told me we 'have to make it work' not because he loves me but so his parents aren't disappointed in him. I keep telling him to 'make a move then' but he won't and asks me why I won't. (Duh because I just want us to be happy... but... we aren't).

So, I've decided that I will make the move. I've never tried to change him but by wanting his behaviour to change maybe I'm asking too much. I can't make the guy love me if he doesn't anymore! Sorry for the scattered writing - too much to say, too many details. I feel I can't do any more to fix this.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 08:07 PM

If his only *solution* is worrying about what his parents will think then I think you have an even bigger problem on your hands than you realize because he doesn't care what you think or feel. If he is domineering and counseling hasn't woke him up and it sounds like he is getting worse I don't see any good future for you.
    He knows he can control you, he knows you try to bow down to his ways. He has beaten down who you are. It isn't going to get better.
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Aug 6, 2009, 08:18 PM

He needs a wake up call
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Aug 6, 2009, 08:34 PM
    FYI you are being abused.

Just to clarify
    He bulldozes right in, makes all the decisions and doesn't care what I think or say
    and never thinks I'm good enough
    He's begun isolating me
    ^^^
    usually a sign of worse things to come
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 05:34 AM

He sounds extremely controlling and borderline abusive.

It doesn't sound like he's providing you what you deserve/want/need from a significant other. Staying in the relationship because of parents and for the sake of the kids is not a good enough reason.

Think about it this way, parents cannot control what we do anymore because we are adults, so we have to make our own decisions. Parents don't live in the same house as you so they have no idea what's going on.

As for staying because of children. If the childen's parents are not having a healthy relationship, then how is that beneficial to the child? By acting in the best interest of the child, you should be having a healthy and happy relationship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reason for running a plate which led to illegal search [ 8 Answers ]

Pulling out of a supermarket shopping center an officer driving in the opposite direction looked in his rearview mirror and pulled us over. The tag was expired and his license was suspended but within seconds 2 detectives in an undercover car came out and while my friend was in hand cuffs in the...

My Compaq Presario 160GB hd running XP is running very slow [ 8 Answers ]

computer is running very slowly in everything, except the internet.anti virus programs and a few anti-spyware programs. Stinger, windows defender, AVG Free, Ad-Aware and spyware Doctor.the computer even restarts randomly by itself! Says Windows has recovered from a serious error. I do not know the...

Husband lied to me about reason for marriage [ 1 Answers ]

I married my husband aug 30th of this year. I feel in Love with him a month and a half after the marriage he told me that he was not going to be with me forever and in fact that the only reason he married me was to get his citizenship, later to find out the rest of the truth that he is trying to...

1988 honda civic stops running for no apparent reason [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1988 honda civic. Problem with driving along, everything fine, and all of a sudden the car just shuts off - you accelerate and nothing happens, since it is no longer running. Then you have to sit for a while before it will start up again. What could be the problem??

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

View more questions Search