Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randome7 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 05:10 PM
    10 legged black spider not a camel spider
    I came across this thing on my side walk it moves slowly is about an inch in length I've never seen a 10 legged spider so I took pictures and tried looking it up with no luck, it is not a camel spider I know that for sure. Also you can see from the pictures I'm not mistaking the 2 extra legs for fangs. I captured it until I find out what it is then ill let it go.
    Attached Images

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 06:29 PM
    What part of the world is your sidewalk in? Species vary
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Spiders have 8 legs. Spiders of the mygalomorph suborder have long palps (see http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseu...ages/sexes.gif) that can be mistaken for legs. I don't know what your spiders is. Search the Internet for spider guides for your area of the world. Start with 10 legged spider - Ummidia - BugGuide.Net.

Aug 6, 2009, 07:33 PM

Guess I forgot to mention where I am, Missouri in the US little place called knob noster
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 01:29 AM
    Then it's most likely one of the funnel web spinning garden spiders. The pedipalps on the front are not fangs but they are developed from mouthparts to aid in the spider's catch technique.

Aug 9, 2009, 11:45 PM

Interesting, thanks. After digging in the net some I came across pictures which looked identical from a spider called the ummidia or as you said, the funnel spider

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What spider is this? [ 8 Answers ]

3913 Hello. I recently discovered this spider (dead) in my bathroom. I live in the UK, but have never seen this spider before, nor has anyone I have shown it too. Though the picture does not show it very well, the spider is bristling with black hairs over its legs and is about the size of a...

Spider? What it is? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi Im in the southwest of the UK found this spider on the fence outside my back door and accidentally painted it LOL so the legs stuck on the fence, really creepy looking and just wondered if anyone knows what it is as I've never seen one before.. please note its not red its black LOL ...

10 legged spider with amor [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I came across a black/grey spider with 10 legs while walking in our subdivision. It had thick legs and was walking slowly across the road. It also had a strange armor type shield on its back and pear shaped butt. We went back to take a photo and measure it: 2 inches. I googled and...

View more questions Search