Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    em777 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 04:17 PM
    deck of cards probability
    Two cards are drawn from a regular deck of 52 cards, without replacement. What is the probability that the first card is an ace of clubs and the second is black?

any one know the answer?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 04:28 PM

Think it through. The chance of the ace of clubs is 1:52. The subsequent draw is 25:51 (26 black cards minus the ace of clubs).

Add the probabilities together (basic probability math... )
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Sorry Stevetcg, but we should multiply them. If we add them, we get a 53% probability. Intuitively, that does not seem correct.

The multiplication rule of probability,

Because the card is not replaced, the events are dependent.

If the problem said, "what is the probability the first card is an ace or black?", then the addition rule would be appropriate.

The word to look for is OR when using Addition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

PROBABILITY deck of cards [ 4 Answers ]

In a card deck, what is the probability of drawing a 3 or king from a deck without replacement? Drawing at least one king when you draw cards from a standard deck 20 times; assume you replace the card each time you draw, so there are always 52 cards to draw from? please help me break this...

Probability of a deck of cards [ 1 Answers ]

What is the total 3 card hand you can get with two aces

Probability with a deck of cards [ 1 Answers ]

With two cards being dealt successively, without replacement, from a 52 card (standard) deck. The probability of being dealt a club SECOND, given you were dealt a diamond FIRST. How would this be set up? How can I figure this out?

Probability with deck of cards [ 2 Answers ]

What is the probability of drawing 3 cards that are all queens from a deck of cards?

Probability using deck of cards [ 1 Answers ]

hi well I really need help with this homework because my teacher kept on explaining something and I just don't get it! With replacement: 1. 2Queens 4/52*4/52 I get that part.. but this.. 2. 2 clubs 3. an ace and then a 2

View more questions Search