Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aljernon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 03:27 PM
    Toilet Explosion
    Ok, I awoke to a nasty situation in my downstairs bathroom. It looked like there was an explosion from the toilet and there was "stuff" all over the place. Luckily it wasn't gallons of it that had to be wet vacuumed up, but it was a pain to get cleaned up.

The toilet flushes just fine now, so do the 2 toilets on the 2nd floor. The tubs and sink drain just fine as well. We had a lot of rain last night, if that matters. I am at a lost as to what in the heck happened. This has never happened before in the almost 9years I have been in the house.

I did a little investigating and found out about a backflow (backwater?) valve that could possibly have prevented it. I'm just worried that it will happen again. I have a call into a plumber to have my system looked at, but I wanted to gather info.

What's going on? Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 03:41 PM

Call the city and ask if they have been flushing the sewer lines, sounds like your back flower preventer did not stop the city pressure during cleaning.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 6, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Ask the plumber to check and see if your rainwater runoff is connected to your sewer and let me know. Tom
    aljernon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Call the city and ask if they have been flushing the sewer lines, sounds like your back flower preventer did not stop the city pressure during cleaning.
    Thanks for such a quick response! I will call first thing in the AM to find out. Now, is the backflow preventer the same thing as a backwater valve?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 03:57 PM

Yes
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 6, 2009, 04:09 PM
    Yes,
    And here's what one looks like,(see image)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pump AC Compressor Explosion Cause? [ 3 Answers ]

Why does a compressor explode?

Danger of methane gas explosion while cutting metal vent pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I need to cut into a metal vent pipe in order to insert a tee and create a drain for a washing machine hoop-up. I am wondering if there is a danger in using a reciprocating saw (sawsall) to cut the pipe, a danger as in "explosion"! Are there alternatives to cutting the pip in a very limited space...

Two MAC trucks play chicken, end in explosion! [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to remember a 70's or 80's movie that I saw when I was a kid in the early 80's. I think that it may have been a sci-fi adventure film. The one scene that I remember is near the end of the film: The main hero is a white male with a beard. He gets into a Mac truck that is unhooked from...

Chili explosion [ 2 Answers ]

I went grocery shopping recently while not being altogether sure that course of action was a wise one. You see, the previous evening I had prepared and consumed a massive quantity of my patented 'You're definitely going to $h!t yourself' chili. Tasty stuff, albeit hot to the point of being painful,...

View more questions Search