Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LovesTheSun13 Posts: 68, Reputation: -2

Aug 6, 2009, 01:11 PM
    My niece is in trouble, can anybody give me insight of what could happen?
    My niece is 15 years old and she got extremely angry at some students at her school, they were picking on herm sending her messages, spreading rumors, and she has many stress and trust issues already. It was too much for her to take and she decided to sneak her parent's gun to school and she pointed it at one of the people who were making her life so much harder than it needed to be. She did not hurt them she honestly just wanted to scare them! Can anybody tell me what the consequences might be? If she pleads insanity what happens?

Aug 6, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Sorry everyone I have forgotten to mention I am in Quebec, Canada
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 6, 2009, 01:17 PM

A lot of it will depend on her age 15 is a touchy area not adult but not exactly a kid anymore either. Was the gun loaded ? Where did she point the gun at the other person in classroom or what ? Im not a lawyer which is probably what she really needs. Do you know exactly what they are charging her with?

Aug 6, 2009, 01:20 PM
    OK I have no idea about Canadian law. IF you can tell me what she's charged with I might be able to tell you what might happen here in my part of US.

Aug 6, 2009, 01:23 PM
    She didn't hurt a soul. The gun was not loaded. She only wanted to pass the word that she HAS to be left alone, she was pushed to the edge. She pointed it to the person outside of a pizza outlet at lunchbreak because they go off the school grounds to eat. I am not sure exactly what she is being charged with, it could be assault with a deadly weapon, but I'm not sure. She's only 15, she barely had anybody to talk to who would really understand.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 01:25 PM

I don't see an insanity plea working here. She would have to actually be insane for that to work. The defense would have to prove that she didn't know it was wrong. Unless she truly did not know, I don't think it would work. ac101 is right, she's going to need a lawyer

Aug 6, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Yes but these kids can't be off the hook for making her life so difficult for so long. People HAVE to have some kind of thing in their head that says "If I bug this person any more than I already have something MIGHT happen" Anybody in their right mind knows when to stop.

Aug 6, 2009, 01:39 PM

Here in my part of the world there are no spoken words that warrant any type of physical assault. Not sure if pointing the gun would be construed as physical assault. However there is a whole list of other charges easier to prove. Example: Illegal possession of a firearm, display of firearm in public. It goes on. If it were me I would get her a lawyer. She does understand that what she did was wrong doesn't she?

Aug 6, 2009, 01:41 PM
    She seems to have trouble being reasonable. She has many obscure beliefs that she can't explain and it seems odd to me. She must have seen this as being the only way out

Aug 6, 2009, 01:48 PM

Im sure she did see it as the only way and being unreasonable is partially due to being 15. Maybe some counseling of some kind might help. I don't believe people should be able to say hurtful things and just forget about it. However that's what kids do they say and do stupid things( I know Ive done my share). Good luck to you and your niece I hope it turns out okay. GOODLUCK,AC

Aug 6, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Thank you AC! I appreciate your time and you gave me great answers!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 01:51 PM

Regardless of just what the bullies did to her, she had no right to bring a gun to school, let alone point it at anyone (loaded or not). She is in a lot of trouble. She needs to be represented by an attorney. Her foolish act is going to cost her parents a lot of money defending her.

Most likely she will be expelled from school for so many months, given a probation sentence, and may have to do some time in jail.

The person on the receiving end of bullies unfortunately cannot just fight back like that. She should have kept after the authorities at her school to have the little perps stop harassing her. She now is on the wrong end of the law.

Why didn't the parents do anything to help her before she took the gun to school? What kind of parent lets their child keep being the brunt of bullies at school without doing something about it? This scenerio should never have happened had the parents kept the conversation lines open with their daughter.

Aug 6, 2009, 02:01 PM
    She IS 15. Teenagers don't always make the best decisions and if she would have told the authorities of the school she would have been picked on a lot more. I understand where you're coming from TwinkieDoodle, but you can only be pushed so far before you react. And her PARENTS had nothing to do with this. She sneaked it to school, and it's not THEIR fault that she didn't mention her problems.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 06:06 PM

In Canada, a person between the ages of 12 & 18 is always tried in Youth Court. However, if found guilty, the Youth Court can impose an adult sentence.

Loaded or not, pointing a gun at someone is considered assault and Canada views assault as a violent crime... which means it can be punishable by an adult sentence.

I think youth sentences are under 2 years and adult sentences are over 2 over years.

The crown has to request it and she can oppose it... then they would have a hearing and the judge would make the final decision. Since no one was hurt and the gun was loaded, I would think this would just be minor assault... in which case, it would seem she has a good shot at a youth sentence.

At any rate, get a lawyer! I have heard that Canada has more minors jailed than anywhere in the western world.

As for the right and wrong stuff... sure, a kid can only take so much. But there are better ways to handle things. She would have been better off threatening them with just about ANYTHING other than a gun... that's pretty serious.

Aug 6, 2009, 06:12 PM
    I'm just looking out for her. I don't agree with what she did at all but I think that everyone deserves a second chance... She wouldn't if she had hurt somebody though that's for sure
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LovesTheSun13 View Post
    She IS 15. Teenagers don't always make the best decisions and if she would have told the authorities of the school she would have been picked on a lot more. I understand where you're coming from TwinkieDoodle, but you can only be pushed so far before you react. And her PARENTS had nothing to do with this. She sneaked it to school, and it's not THEIR fault that she didn't mention her problems.

I know you aren't going to agree. First, please don't criticize the very people on this Board who volunteer a GREAT deal of time and are giving answers based on their education, experience and research.

Her parents are responsible for supervising her. So, yes, her parents DID have something to do with it. If she told them she was under this kind of pressure and they did nothing, then they are at fault. If she didn't tell them she was under this kind of pressure for whatever reason, then they are at fault for not having open communication with their child.

I certainly have been pushed in life. "Twinkie" has, I guarantee, been pushed in her life. Other people have been pushed. None of us took a gun, loaded or unloaded, ANYPLACE and point it at ANYONE. "She was stressed and pushed" is NOT an excuse to point a gun at anybody. People with carry permits are screened very carefully so that they don't lose their temper and show a firearm. For someone who doesn't even HAVE a permit to show a firearm is inexcusable.

I don't see an insanity defense here. I see a charge of assault. I presume she'll be booted out of school. I see, depending on how badly she frightened other people, that she will be sent minimally to a mental health professional and possibly a special school.

You, by making excuses for her, are enabling her behavior.

So, again - she is your niece. You certainly should love and support her but you are closing your eyes to the truth concerning her responsibility and that of her parents.

And you owe "Twinkie" an apology. Again - antagonizing the very people who are trying to help you is NOT a good idea.

This is another example of why only adults - or people who behave like adults - should post on the legal boards.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LovesTheSun13 View Post
    I'm just looking out for her. I don't agree with what she did at all but I think that everyone deserves a second chance... She wouldn't if she had hurt somebody though that's for sure

Next time somebody points a gun at you and you have no idea if it's loaded or not, try to keep this in mind - :).

If she couldn't talk to her parents, why didn't she talk to you?

This is NOT a childish prank. If there had been an armed Police Officer or security guard on the premises she very well could have been shot and killed.This is not childish horseplay. This is serious stuff.

And her parents should be fined for having a pistol that is readily available to underage children.

Aug 6, 2009, 06:46 PM
    I agree except for this

[QUOTE=And her parents should be fined for having a pistol that is readily available to underage children.[/QUOTE]

In all fairness Im not sure how readily accessible the gun was ? Fining her parents for her getting the gun, at 15 she knew better I have two teenage daughters 17 and 19 and although there are weapons here, a couple readily available and loaded they would not touch them unless their lives were in danger. When my children were younger the guns were hidden out of reach or locked up but since they were 13 years old they both regulary accompy me for target practice. My wife, as well as both of my daughters have taken handgun safety courses and my training is a little more extensive. What her parents are guilty of is not teaching her respect for guns and what they are capable of regardless of who's hands they are in. Im sure ill get some nasty comments about having loaded guns. I live in a very rural area with a small police force and most of the residents own guns both for recreation and home protection. Its not enough to tell your children guns are bad in fact guns are not bad. Teach to respect guns, teach them to respect people and themselves. If her parents failed at all that's where I think it was. Sorry for the long post. Just my opion for what its worth. :)

Oh and be nice to judy and twinkie they both give excellent advice from what I can tell GOOD LUCK,AC
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ac101 View Post
    I agree except for this

In all fairness Im not sure how readily accessible the gun was ? Fining her parents for her getting the gun, at 15 she knew better I have two teenage daughters 17 and 19 and although there are weapons here, a couple readily available and loaded they would not touch them unless their lives were in danger. When my children were younger the guns were hidden out of reach or locked up but since they were 13 years old they both regulary accompy me for target practice. My wife, as well as both of my daughters have taken handgun safety courses and my training is a little more extensive. What her parents are guilty of is not teaching her respect for guns and what they are capable of regardless of whos hands they are in. Im sure ill get some nasty comments about having loaded guns. I live in a very rural area with a small police force and most of the residents own guns both for recreation and home protection. Its not enough to tell your children guns are bad in fact guns are not bad. Teach to respect guns, teach them to respect people and themselves. If her parents failed at all thats where I think it was. Sorry for the long post. Just my opion for what its worth. :)

Oh and be nice to judy and twinkie they both give excellent advice from what i can tell GOOD LUCK,AC

You asked and so I'll respond. We aren't talking about you and every other responsible gun owner - including me.

These parents obviously didn't take their daughter to gun safety courses, didn't teach her not to point guns at people, didn't have the gun secured.

Therefore, I believe the parents were negligent in putting it someplace where she could reach it.

I agree that children should respect guns. I also live in a rural area. I know all about guns and a small Police Force. I don't see that these parents taught this child ANYTHING about guns. Therefore, again, I feel they were negligent because the gun was available to her. I see no allegation that she sawed a hole in a gun safe to get at it.

Aug 6, 2009, 07:04 PM

Judy you are correct and I guess my point was at 15 she should have known better and her parents were negligent in not teaching her. Im not sure a fine would make a difference at this point but I guess it would be better than nothing. Great advice as usual. AC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What will happen in Canada if I get in trouble? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so here is my dillemma. I am turning 19 on Tax day this year, I currently live in the United States. I would like to go to Canada with the purpose to consume alcohol leagely. My mom is worried because I heard that Canada was trying to become more strict about the US kids coming over and...

Sons father wants to give up his parental rights.how does this happen? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused:my sons father wants to give up his parental rights. I have sveral questions do I have to agree for him to give up rights, how do I approach this and if he does will he still have to pay child support?

I have no idea what monetary gift is norm for me to give to my niece for college grad [ 2 Answers ]

I am close to my niece, and I have no idea what is considered"average" for a college graduation monetary gift

What happen if I give my rommate 30 days notice and she doesn't sign it? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hello there I rent a place and my landlord said if you want to get a roommate it 's your choice and you have to deal with it. So I found a roommate and I had month to month lease with her. And now after one year we don't get a long ( long story) I asked her to find another place so I...

My Ringneck is confusing me! Can a experienced person give me insight? [ 2 Answers ]

[email protected] all... I have a male olive coloured indian ringneck. Ive had him for 2 years now and I feel I have tamed him half way but don't make any more progress with him! I take him out often, and play with him etc. He is half tame. When I say that he's half tame, I mean...

View more questions Search