Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2009, 10:19 AM

Oh, I get it finally! Wow, I didn't think I had to think like that lol! :D

Ok, I'll skip no. 20 for later, that was pretty a 'logical' question.

A palindromic number is a 'symmetrical' number which reads the same forwards and backwards. For example, 55, 101 and 8668 are palindromic numbers. There are 90 four-digit palindromic numbers. How many of these four-digit palindromic numbers are divisible by 7?
    a. 7
    b. 9
    c. 14
    d. 18
    e. 21

How am I supposed to find that in about 2 minutes? :confused: I would like to know the 'trick'
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2009, 11:34 AM
    If I am thinking about this correctly, 1001 is palindromic and divisible by 7.

1001, 2002, 3003,.

If we had 770, we get the others.

1001, 1771, 2002, 2772, etc.

I believe there are 18 if we count all them.

Check me out on this on.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2009, 12:04 PM

:eek: Terrific! Amazing! Thanks yet again galactus! :) I had to spread the rep... :(

For the next number. I'll post the pic tomorrow. The circles are touching each other so that if their centres are joined, three centres would form an equilateral triangle.

22. What is the area in square centimetres, of the parallelogram that would fit snugly around 6 circles, each of radius 3 cm, as shown in the diagram?
    a. 108
    b.
    c.
    d.
    e. 216

I tried to get the area through , then double that yo give

The base is given by (3*4) + 2(extensions)

Extension =

Slant length = 6 + 2(extensions)

Area =

=

I can't seem to get my mistake.. :( I'll check in tomorrow, bedtime here.

EDIT: Ok here's the pic.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Break it up into various rectangles and they add to 216.

Shift the parallelogram to the right by 'pushing' on the top and transform it into a rectangle. Easier to envision that way.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2009, 10:12 PM
    Those aussie do have a high level of maths! Even being 17, I'm stuck at some of their questions!
    Not sure it's any higher than what we've got here. I knew how to do a lot of this stuff by time I finished 10th grade, and the rest (at least what you've posted so far) by 11th when I got to higher algebra/trig. 12th I was taking analytic geometry (which at the time I thought was loads of fun - cough!) and some intro calculus (which I hated). Of course, not a high percentage of people were taking the courses I was - I was doing the "college prep." Which is kind of funny since the college I work at gives college credit for stuff I took in high school. My high school may have been a little over-ambitious.

Now as for that time limit... took me an hour to figure out #8. LOL.

13. The solution to the equation is rational number of the form where b is not equal to 0 an a and b are positive and have no common factors. What is the value of a+b?
    This doesn't seem like enough info. Was this:

So, we have:
    given with the problem?

EDIT: Never mind... That 5^x... equation in there was not showing up for me in your original post. That's darn weird.

15. An eyebrowis an arrangement of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 such that the second and forth numbers are each bigger than both their immediate neighbours. For example, (1, 3, 2, 5, 4) is an eyebrow an (1, 3, 4, 5, 2) is not. The number of eyebrows is:
    Don't understand the way they word some of these. Do they mean the number of possible eyebrows you could make?

18. A positive fraction is added to its reciprocal. The sum is x/60 in lowest terms, where x is an integer. The number of possible values of x is
    I made the mistake of paying attention to what you were doing and trying to follow it. I was about to attempt it like what galactus was doing, and then when I saw what you were doing I gave up and decided I didn't know how to do it. That's what I get. :p (I usually trust myself better than that.)

As for the rest, I've given up. They're getting into too many shapes. I don't even remember what an "acute" angle is. And circles - forget it. I can find the area and that's it. So this is starting to get way beyond my memory. A palindromic? I don't even remember ever knowing that. And as soon as I saw the word tengent I quit reaading. :D
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2009, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    And as soon as I saw the word tengent I quit reaading.
    I apparently also quit knowing how to type... sheesh.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 03:03 AM
    I assume 'tengent' is meant to be 'tangent'. A tangent isn't anything complicated. It's just a line that touches a circle or other curve at some point.

For instance, the tangent to the curve x^2 at x=1 is an example in the graph below.

Also, a palindromic number is just that. Same as a palindromic word. It's the same backwards as forwards.

1001, 2002, 3223, and so on

And Napoleon's famous line, "Able was I ere I saw Elba" is a palindrome. He was exiled to the island of Elba in case you wonder what that means.

I have noticed a lot of terms in math scare people because they think it's complicated, but it's not.

How about a 'rectangular parallelopiped'? That's just another name for a box.

As for high levels of math, check out a Chinese version of the same test. Then you can say, 'sheesh'.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Aug 9, 2009, 04:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by galactus View Post
    Break it up into various rectangles and they add to 216.

Shift the parallelogram to the right by 'pushing' on the top and transform it into a rectangle. Easier to envision that way.
    I didn't know that was possible... I mean, that when you 'push' the upper left vertex, making the new shape as a rectangle will keep the actual area.

Quote Originally Posted by morgaine
    Not sure it's any higher than what we've got here. I knew how to do a lot of this stuff by time I finished 10th grade, and the rest (at least what you've posted so far) by 11th when I got to higher algebra/trig. 12th I was taking analytic geometry (which at the time I thought was loads of fun - cough!) and some intro calculus (which I hated). Of course, not a high percentage of people were taking the courses I was - I was doing the "college prep." Which is kinda funny since the college I work at gives college credit for stuff I took in high school. My high school may have been a little over-ambitious.
    Ok, let me rephrase my previous comment then: Mauritius has a so low level of Maths!

Quote Originally Posted by galactus
    How about a 'rectangular parallelopiped'?. That's just another name for a box.
    I have heard that somewhere. I think in my vectors class. That's a prism with a base in the shape of a parallelogram, right?

Ok, now for the number 23.

In 3009, King Warren of Australia suspects the Earls of Akaroa, Bairnsdale, Claremont, Darlingdust, Erina and Frankston are plotting a conspiracy against him. He questions each in private and they tell him:
    Akaroa: Frankston is loyal but Erina is a traitor
    Bairnsdale : Akaroa is loyal
    Claremont : Frankston is loyal, but Bairnsdale is a traitor.
    Darlingdust : Claremont is loyal but Bairnsdale is a traitor.
    Erina: Darlingdust is a traitor.
    Frankston: Akaroa is loyal.

Each traitor knows who the other traitors are, but will always give false information, accusing loyalists og being traitors and vice versa. Each loyalists tells the truth as he knows it, so his information can be trusted, but he may be wrong about those he claims to be loyal. How many traitors are there?
    a. 1
    b. 2
    c. 3
    d. 4
    e. 5

I got d. 4 but my friend told me otherwise...

Four circles of radius 1 cm are drawn with their centres at the four vertices of a square with side length 1 cm. The area, in centimetres, of the region overlapped by all four circles is
    a.
    b.
    c.
    d.
    e.

i don't even know where to start this... :(
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 01:07 PM
    I figured #24. I think you have a typo on c. It should be . That is the solution.

If you do not have a drawing, make one with a ruler and a compass so that it is accurate.

You see a little square with bulging sides in the center of the original square. That is the area of overlap for the 4 circles.

It is kind of hard to explain what I did to arrive at the solution.

I found the intersection of two of the circles with centers (0,0) and (0,1):

They intersect at

Subtract half the width of the square, 1/2, and we have a side of a triangle we can use Pythagoras on.

. That is the side length of the 'bulgy' square. But we have to find the area of those bulges which are 4 circular segments.

These areas can be found from the formula for a circular segment and multiplying by 4:

The area of the square is

Add them:

There are many ways to tackle this.

I made this graph with my downloaded graphing utility. It is unconstrained, otherwise, it would look more like circles than ellipses, and the center region would look like a square with bulging sides. I also drew it with a compass and rule on paper.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 01:23 AM
    I assume 'tengent' is meant to be 'tangent'. A tangent isn't anything complicated. It's just a line that touches a circle or other curve at some point.
    Yes, tangent. Was having trouble typing. If I don't remember how to do anything with circles and curves, I'm not likely to remember how to do anything touching it. That was also the kind of thing I disliked in high school.

I have noticed a lot of terms in math scare people because they think it's complicated, but it's not.
    I've never been scared by math or terms. I just don't remember a lot of stuff I learned over 30 years ago. There's a big difference. I tutor math - just not this stuff.

As for high levels of math, check out a Chinese version of the same test. Then you can say, 'sheesh'.
    I was referring to the typos. I'm picky about that sort of thing and don't usually leave them. :-)
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 10:30 AM

Oh yes, should be pi instead of 1 there :o. Thanks galactus!

And for the formula for the circular segment, I didn't know that...

Is it:

Where theta is the angle between the sides of the concerned sector?
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 11:00 AM
    Actually, it's

Because the radius is 1, I just left it out instead of writing (1)^2.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 11:06 AM

Ok, Okay, that's why I asked, to confirm ;)

25. *That's about functions, and doing ff(x), then fff(x) etc until f_n(x).

and

Let S be the complete set of real solutions of the equation f_n(x) = x. The number of elements in S is:
    a.2
    b. 2n
    c. 2^n
    d. 1
    e. infinite*

Tying the math tags plus the codes is quite lengthy and I must go now. If you get confused, I'll post tomorrow. I think it's infinite though...
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:02 AM

Ok, the exact question:

Let and be the n-th fold composite of f. For example, and .

Let S be the complete set of real solutions of the equation . The number of elements in S is:
    a. 2
    b. 2n
    c.
    d. 1
    e. infinite
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 11:40 AM

galactus, won't you take a look? :(
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 03:25 PM
    If I understand correctly, as we keep doing nested compositions, we get for example:

The solutions remain the same on up the line.

For example,

x=-2 and 3.

And, it remains that way on up the line to

Generally, we can use the equation and find that we have a quadratic with solutions

L=-2 and 3

So, there are 2 elements.

Assuming I am interpreting what they mean correctly. I think so.:)
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 10:38 AM

Amazing! Then it was my english that wasn't that good. I failed to understand the 'what' they were asking. :(

Now come those 'structured' questions, which have answers in the range of 0 to 999.

26. The reciprocals of 4 positive integers add up to 19/20. Three of these integers are in the ratio 1:2:3. What is the sum of the four integers?

I don't know where to even start. :(
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 11:47 AM
    Check me out, but wouldn't they be
    ?

The integers sum to 42.

2, 4, and 6 are in the ratio 1:2:3.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 11:50 AM

I wonder how you got that... Trial and error I suppose? Darn, why ain't I able to 'see' the answers! :(
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 12:03 PM
    I immediately seen that 2,4,6 were in that ratio.

Then, I just solved

for x.

That was it. I guess you could say I 'saw' it.;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Some IQ questions [ 2 Answers ]

I took a test to see of what my IQ is from Free IQ Test - IQ Questions. These are some questions I don't understand: Mary, who is sixteen years old, is four times as old as her brother. How old will Mary be when she is twice as old as her brother? 20, 24, 25, 26, or 28 years old? If you...

Possible questions [ 7 Answers ]

I have an interview this coming Friday for the position of Help Desk, just wondering what questions do you think will be asked by the interviewer..

View more questions Search