Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mattdel4444 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 11:45 AM
    American born with portuguese parents and want a portuguese passport
    Hi all. Basically I am trying to find a way around being american (born and raised) and trying to go to the UK to live with my boyfriend and work there. I thought the easist way might be to obtain a portuguese passport and therefore be free to rome in and out of the UK with out visa issues that I have in america. Am I allowed to have 2 passports? And is this the easist way into the UK for me? And do I actually have to go to portugal to get my passport? Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 12:04 PM

If you have copies of your parents birth certificates, proving they were born in Portugal, then you call the Portuguese Consulate from the neartest city you are in.
    I don't think your passports allow to work in the UK. For that you will have to have a work visa.

Yes, you can carry two passports.

Tick
    Alfama Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Aug 7, 2009, 12:28 PM

Tickle is quite right in saying go to the nearest consulate with your parents documents, you shouldn't have a problem obtaining a Portuguese passport. When you receive your passport you will be aloud to work in the UK without a work permit or visa, Portugal is a member of the EU and is covered by the immigration act. Boa Tarde e Boa Sorte... Alfama

Aug 12, 2009, 11:39 AM
    So are both of you saying that I can literally just go to the portuguese consulate in boston with my parents birth certificates and that is it? They will sort out a portuguese passport for me? I have never lived in portugal and heard a rumor that living there for a certain period is a must? Also, if my parents do not have their birth certificates then do we just apply to santa maria portugal (where they were born) for a copy of these certificates. I was reading certain peoples threads on this site about the same issue and there was a lot of advice to do with professional translators of birth certificates and sending things to portugual as well as having to go there to get my passport. I am now slightly confused as I do hope I can just go to the consulate. That would make my life so much eaiser and allow me to travel around europe with my fiancée as well as be set up in england. If you could please get back to me on these issues because I appreciate your replies a lot and am very impressed with this site. Thanks all :-)

Aug 12, 2009, 11:39 AM
    So are both of you saying that I can literally just go to the portuguese consulate in boston with my parents birth certificates and that is it? They will sort out a portuguese passport for me? I have never lived in portugal and heard a rumor that living there for a certain period is a must? Also, if my parents do not have their birth certificates then do we just apply to santa maria portugal (where they were born) for a copy of these certificates. I was reading certain peoples threads on this site about the same issue and there was a lot of advice to do with professional translators of birth certificates and sending things to portugual as well as having to go there to get my passport. I am now slightly confused as I do hope I can just go to the consulate. That would make my life so much eaiser and allow me to travel around europe with my fiancée as well as be set up in england. If you could please get back to me on these issues because I appreciate your replies a lot and am very impressed with this site. Thanks all :-)

Aug 12, 2009, 11:41 AM

p.s I am on my boyfriends email. My name is lindsay :-)

Aug 15, 2009, 02:47 PM

Hi Lindsay, I've never come across or heard of the rumour that you must live in portugal for a certain length of time. I suggest that you go along to the consulate with your parents birth certificates (if they still have them) asking the pertinent questions. If they don't have the certificates I don't think Santa Maria (Hospital) can help you. Let me know and I'll get the address that will provide them with copies. Alfama

Aug 16, 2009, 09:28 AM

Hi Lindsay, Here is an address and phone number, Sr Mesquita, Consulate of Portugal,628 Pleasant Street, Room 204, New Bedford,Ma02740. Tel (508)-9976151 Fax (508) 9921068. I suggest that you contact Sr Mesquita without delay, he has 26yrs in the consular service and he will help and advise you through the proceedings of obtaining a Portuguese Passport. Boa Sorte. Alfama

Aug 26, 2009, 11:18 AM
    Alfama I was wondering if you could answer this because you have been so helpful- if I get my portuguese passport does that mean I no longer need a visa to get into england? I can simply use my portuguese passport at immigration check in. the reason I ask is because my passport would have an american address on and I would not be registered as a Portuguese citizen. Therefore may this prevent me from entering the country? Do I have to be a portuguese citizen to be an EU citizen and therefore be allowed to enter england without the worry of being ilegal. Thanks so much. Lindsay
    smartins11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 04:55 PM
    You can order your parents' birth certificates at https://www.portaldocidadao.pt/PORTAL/pt -- fill in the form for, pay a fee, and they will mail them to you, in about 7-8 weeks.
    Then you have to talk to the Portuguese Embassy in Washington, DC -- local consulate will refer you there (that is what I was told in Chicago by the Portuguese consul).
    After that, not sure of the process since I am just receiving my parents' birth certificates now (got one, the other one is coming.) Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I apply portuguese passport on my mother's portuguese pasport in uk [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a student in uk and I have been here for last four years. My visa is expiring next year jan 2010 and holding indian passport. I was wondering if I can apply for portuguese passport through portuguese embassy without going back to my home country (goa , india) since my mother has been...

Portuguese I.D card vs Portuguese passport [ 1 Answers ]

If I have my Portuguese I.D card on me and I want to travel to Italy do I still need to bring my Portuguese passport with me Many thanks

How to apply for portuguese nationality for a minor with one parent being portuguese [ 3 Answers ]

My partner is a portuguese citizen,living with me in england.I am a zimbabwean citizen,we are not married but have a baby together.we would like to register the baby as a portuguese national.how do we do that?and is she able to travel to zimbabwe with her father?

De Facto Portuguese Nationality - Born in Goa 1950's [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My mother was born in Goa in the year 1952. She has never made a passport and I wish for her to apply for one. In this respect she can apply for a Portuguese Passport, if I'm not wrong, and embrace her de-facto Portuguese Nationality as per the Law, she never really renounced her...

View more questions Search