Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Recovery of OS
    Is it possible to do the following:

I have a maxtor backup program which I ran before my computer was sent for repair. At repair the HD crashed. The laptop is a compaq. Right now the OS was installed from standard XP disks. I do have an old registry backup, although not too old.

Can I:

1. Install from the HP disk set to a USB attached media and then move the HD intenally or do you have to install to C:

2. Can I:
    a. Install to C from the recovery disks.
    b. restore the maxtor backup
    c. Do a Windows repair and have the registry from the registry backup

Can I:
    a. Install to C from the recovery disks
    b. restore the maxtor backup
    c. move the registry backup files from a DOS only prompt.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 09:55 AM

I believe they have everything rigged nowadays that you have to install the OS with the original discs or everyone would use the method you suggested and tap dance past the disc method.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 10:15 AM

I also thought of another method:

1. Load the OS
    2. Load the backup on top of the OS
    3. Use system restore

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows recovery? Can I create a recovery partition? [ 4 Answers ]

I had to fix a computer for a friend. He got viruses on the computer and I have to do a destructive wipe and completely reinstall a fresh copy of windows. This is not the first time it happened and I am looking for a way to cut down the time it takes to fix this thing when it happens again in...

No Recovery CD [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my disc drive has just been replaced on my toshiba equium and I don't have my recovery disc can you please advise. Regard's LEMT

Recovery CD [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Compaq Presario desktop that came pre-loaded with Windows XP (vintage 2002). The unit also came with a "Recovery CD". One option on the recovery CD is to restore the PC to it's original factory settings. Another option is to make an Emergency Recovery Disk that "stores the system...

OS Recovery CD? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a recovery CD for Windows XP Home edition on my dell computer. Can I use this on other computers to put an OS on?

Spy-bot recovery [ 5 Answers ]

I downloaded spybot search and destroy to get rid of any spyware problems but now when I open my hotmail e-mail account and use eBay boxes are continually popping up say "spybot s&d has blocked the download of "doubleclick" or "avenue A inc". These boxes are a complete pain in the ass and I want to...

View more questions Search