Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpm4411 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Aug 5, 2009, 07:12 PM
    Will filesharing work with XP on one PC and vista on the other
    Hi
    I want to run filesharing between my desktop and my laptop and can't seem to get the desktop to connect to my laptop.But my laptop seems to connect fine to my desktop.Im not sure what I need to connect to make this work.
    Thanks for the help.also I'm not using a router.Just the wireless.
    Luke
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Aug 5, 2009, 07:50 PM

OP,

You need to find out the computer name of the computer you would like to connect to. After finding this out (My computer+properties>computer name) after doing this go on the computer you want to connect to the desktop with and go to start>run then type in \(computers name, no brackets) that should work. If that works then go to my computer and go to map network drive under "tools", then press "browse".
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 7, 2009, 06:43 AM

Yes you can but is done slightly differently with Vista and XP. On both computers, File and Printer Sharing must be enabled and both must be a member of the same Workgroup. You need to have NetBIOS enabled in the TCP/IP properties for your network adapters on both computers.

Windows Vista
    Windows XP
    Using Different Versions of Windows
    rpm4411 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Aug 10, 2009, 12:06 AM

Okey.Im just trying to figure this all out.Im not using a router so it's a little harder.Do you know where I could find a step by step guide to do this?Im even trying wipeer and I can't seem to get that too work.I see my networks but I just can't seem to get a connection.
    lexy_08 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 03:55 AM

Try linksys.com/kb
    The answer id is 5560
    It doesn't have instructions for vista though..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why doesn't Oxford Adv Genie work under Vista? [ 1 Answers ]

Oxford Adavced Genie V2 used to work under XP (the most distinguished feature of it is that the word on which the curser stays appears in the pocket-sized dict which enables you not to have to type the word to get the meaning) but I had to buy a new laptop, of course, they are Vista loaded, and now...

How do I get my AddOn's to work w/Vista for World of Warcraft? [ 2 Answers ]

Since that major patch in October, I haven't been able to get ANY AddOn's to work on my Vista operated laptop! Help?

How to get scanner to work with vista [ 9 Answers ]

How do you get your scanner to work with vista? Have a lexmark2300 series

Email/ filesharing not working on network [ 5 Answers ]

Hey Guys, I recently started networking with a router (I was doing it adhoc) aand all was going well, then I rebooted pc's, and the net still shares... but filesharing is a no go now. I haven't bn able to check my amils since I put the router in.. My host can't be found, or whatever that reason...

Error with filesharing [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, I have 2 computers connected wireless with a wireless router to dsl-internet. The first computer is a desktop what is in a workgroup named home. The other is a laptop from university that works with a domain: campus.tue.nl Both computers have internet, and ping each other. ...

View more questions Search