Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doccorey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2009, 11:47 AM
    Heat pump will not cool.
    When I turn on the unit, I hear the unit engage. I set the set pt very low for cooling. The condenser on the outside comes on and the copper pipe gets cold. Sounds like the blower fan is on, but I hear a constant clicking switch noise from the unit. Is it the thermostat, or a relay?
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Aug 5, 2009, 12:45 PM

Not sure what you are talking about.. more info please.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Aug 5, 2009, 01:43 PM

Yes, more info. Is the condenser fan running? Is the blower inside the air handler? Where is the clicking coming from: condenser or air handler?
    doccorey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2009, 01:48 PM
    The fan on the outside actually comes on. The clicking is in the air handler unit in the basement. The blower is also in the air handler unit in the basement. Although the system is set to cooling, the unit just produces heat.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Aug 5, 2009, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doccorey View Post
    The fan on the outside actually comes on. The clicking is in the air handler unit in the basement. The blower is also in the air handler unit in the basement. Although the system is set to cooling, the unit just produces heat.
    What is your backup/auxiliary heat source: furnace or heat strips? Does the air coming out of the vents feel like room air temp, or much warmer like the heat is on?
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Aug 5, 2009, 01:53 PM

You could have a bad relay, reversing valve, 24 volt problem, tstat, or emergancy heat/secondary heat problem.
    Also your compressor might not be coming on.

Honestly I suggest having a tech come look at it.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 04:01 PM

I agree with sibair. Make sure you get a tech that is very knowledgeable with heatpumps, they can be a real pain. Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump seems to work but not putting out cool air [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 1 ton Trane heat pump used for heating/cooling of my basement, it has been seldom used over the years. When I put the Stat in Cool mode the unit seems to work: the outside unit kicks on, with the contactor closing in and compressor pulling 6.5 amps continuously with condenser fan...

3 yr old heat pump, heat works, no cool [ 10 Answers ]

I have a heat pump that was 3 years old in May. We went to change from heating to cooling about a month ago. I noticed later that it wasn't cooling. Checked and found it had tripped the breaker. Reset and instantly threw the breaker again. Called a friend that does A/C work on the side. We...

Heat Pump Doesn't cool, even heats up whenon Cool Setting [ 4 Answers ]

About a 10 year old "YORK High Performance" heat pump... The heat pump was set to Cool for my summer AC and usually has been working well. At noon on a warm day it stopped The element inside-blower with the freon (sp?) would not get cool and for short times heat up blowing warm air in an...

Heat pump not blowing cool air [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My heat pump has been cooling just great until last evening when the register air was only blowing 62 degrees, even as it cooled outside the register air never dropped down. To be safe I shut it off. Anything I could do other than calling repair? Does refrigerant need to be charged?...

Heat Pump runs but doesn't heat or cool. [ 4 Answers ]

I know this is pretty basic--but my older Rheem Classic IX (in FL) seems to be operating fine--except it stopped heating and I think, cooling. It seems to be running fine, without any obvious leaking. It just blows the same cool air on either setting. Where should I start? Are there fuses to look...

View more questions Search