Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mangelb1975 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 06:23 PM
    How do I get my computer to accept my cd's and dvd's?
    I have a gateway computer, My computer is saying please insert a disk when there is one in there, it won't accept any of my cd's or dvd's. Also is my disk drive supposed to say drive I? How do I get my computer to accept my cd's and dvd's, my computer is about a year and 3 months old, it started not accepting my disks 6 months ago please help me!!
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Aug 4, 2009, 08:11 PM

Version of Windows (XP, Vista etc)? The following should apply to Windows XP, but may apply to Windows Vista as well.

Which disk is listed as I: (Optical drive, external drive or an internal hard drive)?

Is there a "My computer" icon on the desktop? If so right click on the "My Computer" Icon and click "Explore" on the resulting context menu. Does the optical (DVD/CD) drive appear in the left pane of the Explorer window?

Click "Properties" in the "My Computer" context menu. On the "Hardware" tab of the "System Properties" pop-up click the "Device Manager" button. Is your optical drive listed under the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" category on the "Device Manager" pop-up?
    matty0913 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Hey mangel,

The Optical Drive(CD/DVD Drive) can have any letter. The reason it chose the letter I is because you may have a card reader or more than one hard drive installed in your computer. Your optical drive is one of the last drives to receive a letter at boot up.

In terms of why it says to "Insert CD into drive I:", this means it's looking to either finish an installation of a piece of software, or you removed a disc before shutting down a particular program.

Try restarting your desktop/Laptop and see if that fixes the problem.

If it hasn't , then it's likely you haven't finished installing a software package.

If you haven't installed software within the last 6 months through the optical drive, you may have a virus, or your optical drive is on its way out.

You can purchase a new optical drive from any of your major retail stores for around $40(desktop).if you're unsure how to install it, get a technician to do it for you.

Best of luck to you,
    --Matty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know if my computer can play dvd's? [ 2 Answers ]

My computer has CDWR. I don't know if this is relative information, but I was told based on that I can play dvd's. How do I know if my computer can play dvd's?

To Accept or Not Accept a Gift [ 10 Answers ]

It's the Christmas season, so yesterday I spent the day making cookies which were then wrapped in a decorative tin that I gave to a male co-worker as a thank you for help done at work and for the occasional ride home from work. I was quite surprised when he handed me a little gift bag in return....

CD dvd's [ 1 Answers ]

I just like to know a few things about these optical disks. Here's my question: First of all, dvd, cd, vcd - are they the file extensions? e.g. Movie1.dvd If there not the file extensions, are these the following extensions or formats of dvd's and vcd's: Avi mpeg vob that I've got a...

Freeware to play DVD's on computer? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello I'm looking for some free software I can use to be able to watch DVD's on my computer. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

Cleaning dvd's and cd's [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to clean dvds and cds?

View more questions Search