Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockysham Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2003, 05:04 PM
    Computer Auto Reboot once it enter Windows (Regard
    Dear Expert,

I would need some experts out there to give me advice on the isuse that I encounter with my computer.

Before I go on, I will actually describe my system specs first... my system is model is basically Acer Aspire 6600, running on pentium III, 1GHZ, 128 SD RAM, on board VGA and running on Windows ME.

The issue I encountered was basically, whenever my system enter windows, less that 10 seconds, it will just auto reboot by itself. What I did was running on the Win ME startup booting via the CD-ROM, and there was a message saying that my system has some registry/configuration problem and recommend me to do a scanreg/restore. I did that, but the Microsoft Registry Checker can't do anything about it and display a message saying that the problem cannot be fix and recommend me to either rename some windows folders thingy, I did that too. During the startup at dos mode, I too received a message saying that the is a problem in line 5 of my config.sys file. I did open up my config.sys file to view if there's anything wrong, Best of all, inside the config.sys file, the file is totally empty!

I did try all the renaming of all those other system files.. (attrib -r -h -s.. and renaming of file & stuff).. did everything. But still the same, therfore to make my life easier, which I think since this problem is caused by the OS, registry and system files and stuff.. the best is to wiped out my entire hardisk and do a fresh windows installation.

Therefore, I did, delete my current hardisk only partition, re-create the partion, the FDISK did all the kind of checking drive integrity and stuff... after that I clean format my entire hardisk.

Then I chose to re-install my system with windows 98 since microsft already has this known issue with WINME blue screen and sutff... and win98 is the most stable so far.. (besides w2k, XP etc.. )

After I did the fresh windows 98 installation, when it's my first time entering to win98 . The part where windows will begin to install all those monitor/display drivers and stuff... surprisingly again when the windows was displaying for only less than 10sec... and again my system auto-reboot!!

I was really at end wits till I got no idea what to do.. but I did try to see if I'm able to enter windows as safe mode. YES, I did manage to enter windows as safe mode. Except when entering as normal mode... it just auto reboot..

I formatted and did fresh windows installlation several times, again and again... (tried both WinME & win98 fresh installed).. but the result is still the same...

I did try to do my own research, and some websites say it might be the RAM issue or RAM not properly installed... I did check the BIOS all and stuff and everything is install and set perfectly OK.

Adding from my detail troubleshooting information which I've done, here are the additional troubleshooting steps which I've tried just few hours ago:

I basically have two computer at home. The other of my this computer is in very working good condition and fortunately this second computer is also using the same type of RAM with the PC I'm having problem with. What I did was,

- checked by scandisk that the hardisk has no bad sector and this hardisk is working when connect to other system

- I tried to swap the RAM to the working good condition RAM

- I even tried to swap the hardisk and did fresh installation

- I have NO PCI cards on my mainboard meaning I have nothing to remove

- I even try to remove my CD-rOM drive and floppy drive ide step by step to see if I can isolate if any of those is causing the problem

- I have no PCI cards, meaning all my modems and stuff are onboard and I can't actually remove them physically but only to disable them through BIOS which I've also tried

- Yes, I also did try to set to default config in my BIOS..

- Except for the POWER supply thingy, I was wondering how can it ever caused to be the problem as it is able to transmit the power to all my internal devices, even boot up in DOS and even safe mode, but just when come to normal mode, it auto-reboot and power supply is the issue?? Seems not the case...

Btw, just to feed you guys with more info, as mentioned I did try to enter safe mode before as that's possible and under the System properties-> Performance tab, inside the white text box empty space, it is written this:

-Comapatibily mode paging reduces overall system performance.
    - Drive A is using MS-Dos compatibility mode file system.
    - Drive C is using MS-Dos compatibility mode file system.

Really need help with my computer, awaiting for
    Solutions from experts out there..

Many thanks in advance...

With Best Regards.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Aug 5, 2003, 09:06 PM
    Computer Auto Reboot once it enter Windows (Re
    Here's my $0.02 :)

You can start up in safe mode and in DOS, but not in normal windows mode... maybe because of some driver problem?

The only advice I can give is to try a different operating system. :)

Here's an idea:

Go to http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html and get a Knoppix CD. It's free :). If you have dial-up like me, it will take a very long time to download, but it really is worth it.
    Knoppix is a bootable GNU/Linux operating system CD that runs entirely from the CD drive, without writing anything to your hard disk. It has excellent hardware detection so just about everything is set up automagically.
    If you can boot from the CD and use it without a problem, then it is likely that the problem lies with your windows drivers.
    If it still reboots automatically, then you might have a hardware or bios setting problem... if it does, you should be able to see at exactly what point it does reboot, so you can get a good idea of what is causing the problem.
    This information will prove very valuable in hunting down this problem. :)

Good luck,
    ~psi42

EDIT: Maybe these threads will provide some more info:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cgi-bi...484369;start=0

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cgi-bi...562651;start=0

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cgi-bi...562727;start=0

You might also try a different power supply, if you have another one available. :)
    rockysham Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2003, 09:44 PM
    Hi PSi42, Thks for your reply.

Well, this can't really be due to windows driver... as mentioned in my first posting, I clean format my hardisk and install fresh windows... (try installing with several OS)... therefore I've already done trying installing with other OS.

My hardisk was installed only with the fresh windows, I did not install any other drivers yet, (unless you are telling me the windows driver from all the OS CD installation is corrupted therefore when installing the OS to my hardisk, it's actually copying corrupted windows drivers and corrupted system files which is confirmed not the case, as these OS installations cds have been installed on other system and there isn't any problem.

Even when you mention driver problem.. which device driver could it possibly be? None of the device driver is even being installed yet as I can't even get to normal mode to the devices driver installation.

Just to make things even more clearer that it isn't windows driver or any software/driver issue is...

I did actually take this hardisk (with only the windows installed fresh) and fixed it to another system (exact same model brand, specs.. Acer Aspire 6600) and the system was able to boot up in normal mode and everything is fine. Having to said this, it can actually confirm that the prob could be on the hardware side on the PC I'm having problem with which is where I need help on..

Earlier in my very first posting, I've already started mentioning the several hardware troubleshooting I've done as I've long confirmed that it's the hardware instead of OS/drivers and stuff...

Do read my first posting on the hardware troubleshooting I;ve done, as I now need help in getting other solutions on what other hardware troubleshooting should I do... as seems that I;ve done most of it and problem is still persist..

I would appreciate if you could have other solutions for me doing on the hardware troubleshooting after reading the hdw troubleshooting steps I;ve done mentioned in my first posting to avoid redundant solutions...

Other solutions from any other experts here are most welcomed... me really need help :(

Tks a million in advanced !

Rgds.

psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Aug 5, 2003, 11:25 PM
    Hi rokysham

Just to let you know I DID read your ENTIRE post, including what you had done to try and find out what the problem is. I suggested that you try Knoppix before you spend your $$$ on new hardware, just in case the hardware is not the issue.
    I have dealt with tech support people that never read your entire e-mail, so I understand how you feel. Just to let you know, I may make incorrect suggestions :);D, but I do always read the entire post. :)

I clean format my hardisk and install fresh windows... (try installing with several OS)... therefore I've already done trying installing with other OS.
    Have you tried a non DOS-based OS?

]
    Just to make things even more clearer that it isn't windows driver or any software/driver issue is...

I did actually take this hardisk (with only the windows installed fresh) and fixed it to another system (exact same model brand, specs.. Acer Aspire 6600) and the system was able to boot up in normal mode and everything is fine.
    Ah... now that is interesting. You're right, being that it is the same system you are almost definitely facing a hardware problem. :)
    I say almost, because there is a slight possibility that some setting is different in the two systems.

]
    Having to said this, it can actually confirm that the prob could be on the hardware side on the PC I'm having problem with which is where I need help on..
    It is very likely that you may have a hardware problem. BUT as you have replaced everything except the mobo and the psu, then you will need to pay a lot of $$$ to get those components replaced, especially if the mobo is damaged. Before buying new hardware, give Knoppix a try. :) Just in case. And try a different PSU.

]
    Earlier in my very first posting, I've already started mentioning the several hardware troubleshooting I've done as I've long confirmed that it's the hardware instead of OS/drivers and stuff...
    You have confirmed that certain hardware is not causing the problem. However, if I understand you correctly, even by removing the hardware you still had the same problem. So as you cannot isolate a particular piece of hardware as the problem, how can you confirm that software is not the issue? It may be very probable that hardware is the issue, but you don't know what piece of hardware is the problem.

]
    Do read my first posting on the hardware troubleshooting I;ve done, as I now need help in getting other solutions on what other hardware troubleshooting should I do... as seems that I;ve done most of it and problem is still persist..
    Yes I did read it all, and did take it into account when I posted. You have verified that:

-The hdd is not the problem
    -The RAM is not the problem
    -The disk drives are not the problem
    -You don't have any PCI cards, so they can't be the problem
    -You have verified the BIOS settings are correct

So you have the PSU, the mobo, and the mobo's integrated video, audio, and modem as possible suspects.

By using Knoppix, you could verify that you DO have a hardware problem, and by taking a look at the extensive logs and any error messages, you might be able to discern EXACTLY what is causing the problem.

]
    I would appreciate if you could have other solutions for me doing on the hardware troubleshooting after reading the hdw troubleshooting steps I;ve done mentioned in my first posting to avoid redundant solutions...
    Try a different PSU. AFAIK that is a probable culprit in this case.

]
    Me really need help :(
    Get Knoppix :)

]
    Tks a million in advanced !

Rgds.
    Hope we can solve your problem. :)

~psi42
    sunrat Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2003, 02:26 AM
    Definitely sounds like hardware problem if it persists after 2 reinstalls. Swap out each bit with your other PC, one bit must be sick. Maybe even the mobo.
    Lotsa luck.
    roughwildchild Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2003, 09:06 AM
    Need info
    Dear RockySham,

I am doing this assignment on
    Heatsinks (Active vs positive heatsinks)
    Thermal glue to glue down the heatsinks
    And positive vs negative pressure

I have some info on active so far nothing on positive as well as positive vs negative pressure.
    I have found some info on thermal glue, but my problem is where can I find info on these items.

Please if possible list the sites where I can find this information.

You can email me at www.kumarkataria.ca
    I would really appreciate this if you could help me out
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2003, 05:11 PM
    rockysham, hi, wow, you are very thorough. I congratulate you for being so persistent. Keep it up! :D. That is the only way to fix anything. I had this same very frustrating prob before, too. And it sounds like your motherboard may be bad, really bad or your power supply. You mentioned you originally had win ME. That tells me you probably had this PC in question for at least several years right? And did you build it yourself? And speaking of win ME, it has got to be the worst os Microsoft has ever made, even worse than dos, lol! ; ;D.
    BUT seriously, when win ME was installed, needless to say, it might have "inadvertently" damaged some part of the motherboard. There are some really, really expensive gadgets to see if the motherboard is bad and what not, but it is really not worth your frustration, since you did get this far. And even if you did get this "prob" fixed somehow, it is definitely not worth your precious time to fix again, right? Because it's going to happen again. If you have try most everything to fix it, I believe the core cause will not go away. In my 7 years experience, I hate to say this, but sometimes, the wisest thing to do, is knowing when to stop fixing it, and just getting another good motherboard, like ASUS, ECS, TYAN, GIGABYTE, or INTEL & at least a 350W power supply. At least your hard drive is still good. ;)
    wings_67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2004, 04:43 AM
    Hello,

Was just wandering if you isolated the hardware problem. I've recently ran in to this problem with a client. I installed a new harddrive(HP recall) and then discovered that power unit failed. Replaced that and wham... all it does is re-boot. Please let me know if you found anything.

Thanks.
    jlimtc2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2005, 08:26 AM
    Computer Auto Reboot when in Windows
    I too having the same problem. Same type of computer (Acer Aspire). Same OS Windows ME. However, what I did was do the installation in another machine then move the hard disk to the Acer Aspire machine. Sometimes it works. Anyone have any idea why it is happening? Did the same too but not working in Acer Aspire. Tried asking Acer but no use. Didn't asked them for service cos' just passed my warranty period when problem came up.

Anyone have any idea? Please help.

Thanks
    JasonS Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2005, 06:56 AM
    Sounds to me like a problem with APM (Advanced Power Management). Search your CMOS for an option to disable it.
    Coolkeynes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2005, 04:34 AM
    My Acer Travelmate 340t Auto Reboot Just After Loading Windows
    I upgraded my Travelmate 340T from Win98 to Win2k but now it auto reboots just after loading windows. Can anyone please help.

Regards,

CC
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2005, 05:46 AM
    Re-Boots
    Hi,
    Have you considered taking the computer to a local computer shop? They can tell you the cost of fixing it...
    If the cost isn't too high, it would really save you a lot of time.
    It sounds like a hardware problem, and they could find the problem.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 8, 2005, 06:25 AM
    If your computer stays on in safe mode, it's likely to be a driver problem. Download and install all the OS specific drivers for your equipment. You may have a motherboard CD with drivers on it. Use this if you can in safe mode to install as many required drivers as possible.

Older OS's may not recognise your newer hardware and so need drivers ASAP.

Also test the ram - in safe mode less ram will be used to boot so the bad section may not be reached. But in general I suggest getting latest drivers for kit installed.

If you keep getting problems try swapping devices - e.g. disable onboard VGA, sound, Network etc and replace with PCI or AGP versions.

Best of luck people.
    gr8tushar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockysham
    Dear Expert,

I would need some experts out there to give me advice on the isuse that I encounter with my computer.

Before I go on, I will actually describe my system specs first ... my system is model is basically Acer Aspire 6600, running on pentium III, 1GHZ, 128 SD RAM, on board VGA and running on Windows ME.

The issue I encountered was basically, whenever my system enter windows, less that 10 seconds, it will just auto reboot by itself. What I did was running on the Win ME startup booting via the CD-ROM, and there was a message saying that my system has some registry/configuration problem and recommend me to do a scanreg/restore. I did that, but the Microsoft Registry Checker can't do anything about it and display a message saying that the problem cannot be fix and recommend me to either rename some windows folders thingy, i did that too. During the startup at dos mode, i too received a message saying that the is a problem in line 5 of my config.sys file. I did open up my config.sys file to view if there's anything wrong, Best of all, inside the config.sys file, the file is totally empty!

I did try all the renaming of all those other system files .. (attrib -r -h -s .. and renaming of file & stuff) .. did everything. But still the same, therfore to make my life easier, which i think since this problem is caused by the OS, registry and system files and stuff .. the best is to wiped out my entire hardisk and do a fresh windows installation.

Therefore, i did, delete my current hardisk only partition, re-create the partion, the FDISK did all the kind of checking drive integrity and stuff ... after that i clean format my entire hardisk.

Then i chose to re-install my system with windows 98 since microsft already has this known issue with WINME blue screen and sutff ..... and win98 is the most stable so far .. (besides w2k, XP etc .. )

After i did the fresh windows 98 installation, when it's my first time entering to win98 . the part where windows will begin to install all those monitor/display drivers and stuff ... surprisingly again when the windows was displaying for only less than 10sec ... and again my system auto-reboot !!!!

i was really at end wits till i got no idea what to do .. but i did try to see if i'm able to enter windows as safe mode. YES, i did manage to enter windows as safe mode. Except when entering as normal mode ... it just auto reboot ..

i formatted and did fresh windows installlation several times, again and again ... (tried both WinME & win98 fresh installed) .. but the result is still the same ....

I did try to do my own research, and some websites say it might be the RAM issue or RAM not properly installed .... i did check the BIOS all and stuff and everything is install and set perfectly ok.

Adding from my detail troubleshooting information which I've done, here are the additional troubleshooting steps which I've tried just few hours ago:

I basically have two computer at home. The other of my this computer is in very working good condition and fortunately this second computer is also using the same type of RAM with the PC i'm having problem with. What I did was,

- checked by scandisk that the hardisk has no bad sector and this hardisk is working when connect to other system

- i tried to swap the RAM to the working good condition RAM

- i even tried to swap the hardisk and did fresh installation

- I have NO PCI cards on my mainboard meaning i have nothing to remove

- I even try to remove my CD-rOM drive and floppy drive ide step by step to see if i can isolate if any of those is causing the problem

- i have no PCI cards, meaning all my modems and stuff are onboard and i can't actually remove them physically but only to disable them throught BIOS which i've also tried

- Yes, i also did try to set to default config in my BIOS..

- Except for the POWER supply thingy, i was wondering how can it ever caused to be the problem as it is able to transmit the power to all my internal devices, even boot up in DOS and even safe mode, but just when come to normal mode, it auto-reboot and power supply is the issue Seems not the case ...

Btw, just to feed you guys with more info, as mentioned i did try to enter safe mode before as that's possible and under the System properties-> Performance tab, inside the white text box empty space, it is written this:

-Comapatibily mode paging reduces overall system performance.
    - Drive A is using MS-Dos compatibility mode file system.
    - Drive C is using MS-Dos compatibility mode file system.

Really need help with my computer, awaiting for
    solutions from experts out there ..

Many thanks in advance ...

With Best Regards.
    Hi,
    I am also facing a similar problem.
    If you have the solution , do send it to me.
    fredo3000 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 07:17 AM
    I once saw this behavior on a Windows XP, it was fixed installing service pack 2 on it.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 10, 2007, 07:02 AM
    If it boots fine in safe mode, that says to me "Check the video hardware"
    Safe mode uses very basic video drivers. It may be that the video onboard has some hardware malfunction, and when it tries to load a decent resolution and color mode, it just gets unrecoverable errors. This can cause windows to not look correct, blue screen, give weird errors, or even reboot.

Before buying another power supply or motherboard, I would try to disable the onboard video, and drop in an old PCI video card that you know is working. Even if you find out that the onboard video is bad, then at least you know the problem, and can either just use a PCI video card, or buy a new motherboard.

--
    Edit:
    Ow, wow. Aug 6... but of 2003. I didn't notice that before I posted. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian passport is one needed now to enter from us [ 5 Answers ]

Is a passport needed to enter canada from us or can we still use a birth certificate?

Using dos to turn off auto restart on error with windows 2000 pro [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to change the auto restart on error from dos with windows 2000 pro. When I log on with the imported username from the old os, (there was no password) the machine "applys user setttings" then immidiatly logs off! And asks me for the username and password and goes...

Computer auto reboot once it enters windows [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a Compaq Presario 5900T with Windows 98. Last week my computer suddenly started to reboot by itself. It happens all the time. First after running 5-10 minutes and since yesterday, directly after the start-up procedure has ended. The computer works fine in safe mode. There are no...

No pagefile - can't enter Win2000 [ 3 Answers ]

I ghosted a working c drive with windows 2000 pro to a new (larger) hard drive. It boots normally until it gets to the blue screen to load user settings. I then get an error message that my pagefile is either missing or too small and it then tells me how to correct the problem from within windows....

View more questions Search