Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apsomerfield Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Water leaking under the sink. Maybe a pipe missing?
    I have just moved into a new house and have no idea how the plumbing under the sink works but whenever water goes down the sink at a certain rate it, some of it comes out of a small pipe underneath sticking slightly upwards out of the main pipe before the trap. The pipe has an adaptor on it which looks like a hose connector. Is this an overflow pipe of some sort which is missing somewhere to overflow to? Or should it have a stopper on it? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 4, 2009, 04:31 PM

Is this what you have ?
    Attached Images

Aug 4, 2009, 04:36 PM
    Yeah, very similar...
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 4, 2009, 04:42 PM

Do you have a dishwasher or garbage disposal?

That connection is typically used to attach a dishwasher drain line. If no dishwasher or dishwasher attached to disposal then you need a straight tail piece similar to this. They are sold in home centers and aren't to hard to replace I'm not sure exactly what your configuration is under the sink but it shouldn't be too difficult. Post back if I missed anything. GOOD LUCK, AC
    Attached Images

Aug 5, 2009, 12:07 AM
    I don't have a dishwasher or disposal but there is a supposed to be a washing machine next to the sink, which I haven't filled yet as the old owner took it with her. Would that be the same idea? So as soon as I get a new one installed the problem will be stopped?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 5, 2009, 04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by apsomerfield View Post
    I don't have a dishwasher or disposal but there is a supposed to be a washing machine next to the sink, which I haven't filled yet as the old owner took it with her. Would that be the same idea? So as soon as I get a new one installed the problem will be stopped?
    AC101 did a excellent job of describing your situation. This is indeed a branch tailpiece the original owner left open when she took her dishwasher with her. Your open cabinet space is for a dishwasher , not a washer.
    Slip a baggie over the open branch and secure it with a rubber band until you can install another dishwasher. Don't forget to run a high loop, (see image) on the discharge hose when installing the DW. To answer your question
    So as soon as I get a new one installed the problem will be stopped?
    It sure will! Good luck, Tom

Aug 5, 2009, 05:32 AM
    Brilliant, thanks for all the advice. Still a little concerned about the dishwasher point though because the appliance in the space was definitely a Washer Dryer for clothes and not a dishwasher. Could I still connect in the same way?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 5, 2009, 05:51 AM
    The set up was originally for a dishwasher. A washer would have to have a high loop instaloled for a air gap the same as a DW. I can see drainage problems in the future discharging a washer into the sinks lateral drain line in the wall. It's bad enough with the garbage that you're sending down the line. Adding lint and fiber to the mix only ups your chances for a clog.
    Good luck, tom

Aug 5, 2009, 05:59 AM
    Many thanks, will keep it all in mind!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overflow pipe is leaking water [ 3 Answers ]

My overflow pipe which is the white pipe coming out of the house is leaking and the downstairs toilet is making a loud high pitched noise I have been told that this is due to the ballcock is this correct and how would I change that if I needed to? If anyone could help that would be much...

Leaking pipe under sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, My dad replaced the taps on the small hand basin in the downstairs loo. I had to buy small 'extenders' for the pipes so that he could fit the taps, as the Original taps had a longer trunk. Anyway, they look very nice, but I noticed this evening That there are drips coming out of the...

Can't get bathroom pedestal sink to stop leaking from tail pipe [ 4 Answers ]

We have a pedestal sink and a week ago the pipe that goes into the wall fell apart. It had rusted through. I got the replacement parts (all metal parts) at the hardware store. The pipe that goes into the wall screws into the pipe and has a plastic washer. It sealed tight - no problem. Then the...

Leaking water from sink [ 10 Answers ]

The water has been turned off at the sink but it is still leaking. New washers have been installed but still leaking. What is the matter? Please help me.:confused: :confused:

Water leaking from the pvc pipe on Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

I think the air handler pipe that goes to the outside is clogged, can I use liquid draino in it to clean out the line?

View more questions Search