Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crowbar in texa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Ready for demolition
    I want to replace my exterior brick with siding. It is old, old, old and ugly. I don't want to repair it and I don't want to paint it. I want to take it all down, add a few windows, doors, etc. Looking for any advice out there on where to start and how to go about it in the safest and least expensive way. Would like to do most of work myself.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 05:40 PM

This is a first. Do you realize the cost in trucking away the old brick, not to mention the differences in thickness for adding to the soffits back towards the house etc.

In the field we use 3/4 furring strips and tap con/shoot the strips on. 16"oc then hang the siding. Add to widows jambs which etc.

To add a few windows is a rough cut from a masonry saw and sawzall wood wall. The other danger is a normal brick ledge is 4" away from the house. The brick is laid at 4 1/2" to 4 3/4" away from the house. This gives us masons finger room between the house and wall to lay brick. The greater effect is the block foundation is capped and a drip ledge is established past the foundation. With this ledge being exposed after brick is removed then a mortared sloped CAP needs done and pitch and or aluminum flashing seal to shed water off that big offset. If not water can easily penetrate the foundation wall and water freeze problems.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 5, 2009, 12:07 AM

That brick would have to be falling off by the dozens before I would even think about this project. I would repair the brick. Why is that not an option? You can still add doors windows etc. In the long run I think repair would be easier and most likely cheaper. Like 21 said think of the cost of hauling off the brick. It would cost me a fortune here. Good LUCK, AC
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 05:03 AM

Someone may haul away the Brick for free?
    I see things recycled all the time.
    People will even buy old bricks.
    If you attempt this, it is a Major project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting ready [ 2 Answers ]

I am 26 weeks pregnant and I have decided to breastfeed I don't want to supplement unless I absolutely have to I was wondering if there is anything I should be eating or ding to ensure a healthy milk production, I really want to breastfeed my daughter, I'm just scared I won't produce milk. Thanks...

Not ready [ 1 Answers ]

So I'm still a virgen and I know that I'm not ready for sex but there is this really hot guy who wants to have sex and I told him that I'm not a virgen now he wants to do it. How do I tell him that I don't want to without giving it out that I'm a virgen?:confused:

Demolition work [ 3 Answers ]

What considerations should be made prior to performing demolition work? This is a general question for any work done on any room of a house.

View more questions Search