Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nothing lasts Posts: 71, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2009, 10:25 AM
    Is it hard to be a teacher?
    I love english very much and I want to be a teacher but I am afraid yes very afraid so what should I do?:confused:
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 10:26 AM

What are you afraid of? The education? The difficulty getting a job after you're done?

I would suggest that you should brush up on your writing skills if you want to be an English teacher.

I doubt text talk will be on the curriculum. ;)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 07:38 PM

Teaching can be very demanding. Many people picture a teacher going in, giving an assignment, and all of the kids sit quietly doing their work while the teacher sits at a desk and marks papers. Just doesn't happen that way! Most people have no clue what the job is truly like on a daily basis.

Example: my niece decided that she "could always just teach" since she didn't think she could get into what she really wanted to do. She observed three days at my school, in several different classrooms, and knew by day three that there was no way she could do the job... she changed her major... :)

Much will depend on what grade level you are wanting to teach. If you are considering English, than likely you would be at a middle or high school age. You will deal with many different personalities... some who want to be there and learn, others who do not, and have no problem letting you and everyone else know it too.

The key is that you need to like working with the age of kids you would train for. Some people adore the little ones... others would pull their hair out if they had to spend every day going over step by step how to do something... only to have to repeat it numerous times! Others find great challenge and reward in working with teens... which would be close to torture for someone else.

You may love English... the challenge would be getting your students to love it, or at least put up with it enough to participate in class and not be a disruption.

Many teachers practically eat, drink, and breathe their work. What still needs to be done is often not far from their minds. To do the job well, you have to be truly committed to it... committed to your students, especially the ones who give you a challenge on a daily basis. You will find you can always do more... but you have to find a balance with your personal life to maintain your perspective.

It is exasperating, exhilarating, frustrating, and rewarding all at the same time. You will love it somedays... and be thinking that a nice, quiet office job sounds really good on others.

Is it hard?. yes, in fact, close to half of all new teachers quit within the first five years... I don't know of any other profession that has a turn over like that, but it is also one of the most rewarding professions you could ever go into.
    sergie Posts: 149, Reputation: 15
    -

Oct 1, 2009, 01:22 AM

@ nothing lasts

You haven't mention, you are afraid of what,
    Teaching is a rewarding professional job. Its not so easy to teach, you need lot of confidence and energy to deal with students. I myself was a teacher for couple of years. And I loved those days. Really! Regards!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 1, 2009, 05:10 PM

Teaching isn't easy. You have a lot of studying to do and depending on what state you teach in, many years beyond a bachelor's degree.
    Each day, I spend about 9 hours at work, and then a couple more at home grading papers.
    What do I get out of it? The rewards are certainly not monetary. I love it when a child learns something new. It is even better to have a child of a former student tell you that both of her parents had you as a teacher!!
    All I hope is that my students remember that I was tough, but they learned from me!
    Good luck and hopefully you become a good teacher!
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

Oct 1, 2009, 05:12 PM

It also depends on what grade you would like to teach too... Primary(elementary) school is different from High school, i.e.. Different techniques, methods, students, material
    ladiesuchoose Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2009, 06:22 PM

Teaching is easy if it's something you like. The process is a little difficult. You must know what area and grade level you like. Also teaching requirements differ from state to state. The classroom part is easy. It's all those meetings and committees that's nerve wrecking.

Jan 2, 2010, 11:01 AM

I love teaching more than any word can say but I am so afraid I don't trust myself at all and no 1 encourages me.thank you for all care you really gave me hope! thank you so much
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 12:55 PM

Do you want to become an English Teacher because you love your English teacher?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...er-430588.html

I find your posts very disturbing. I really think you need more help then we can give you.

Jan 7, 2010, 09:44 AM

Because I love english more than anyrthing in the world not because I love my teacherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!I don't know what do you mean exactly but I want you to know that without her I would never have a dream!

Jan 7, 2010, 09:44 AM
    By the way I am a girl and I love a woman a daughter that loves her mother!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 10:04 AM
    Talk to the guidance counselor in your school, that's what they are paid to do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 02:17 PM

And sit closer to the front when you are in English class.

There is no need to save time here so please don't use text speak.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 4, 2010, 10:15 PM

nothing lasts,

There is a lot of good advice here. It's one thing to love English and it's another thing to love teaching English. As people have previously stated, you really need to like the age group you're working with. The best advice I can give is to observe classes at each grade level and observe them on a few different days. You'll know right away if it's for you or not.

I've been teaching 3rd grade for eight years. Is it hard? Not any more. I know my district's curriculum and I can make minor changes each year to tweak my teaching and improve my lessons. My first year, however, was a completely different story. I was completely overwhelmed and thought I'd never make it. But I loved the age group and I still do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

My teacher NEEDS to know [ 1 Answers ]

My teacher needs to know the name of a book about a princess who has to decide if her boyfriend, who is not in her social class, should be eaten by a lion, or marry another beautiful lady, I don't know the name of the book but I REALLY need to, my grade in journalism depends on it, PLEASE HELP ME...

What is with this teacher! [ 54 Answers ]

Okay I love english and it takes a lot to get me to hate the class but this lady has pushed me over the line! This year our Jr. english teacher left to move in with her new husband, in her place we got an ex college teacher (this woman is 30 and has worked at 7 different schools what's that tell...

I want to be a teacher. [ 4 Answers ]

I have already gone to college for my first love theatre. I have been working in theatre for the last 5 years and as much as I have a passion for it I have decided it would be best for me to pursue another career. I have given in much thought and I thought the best way to do this was to teach what...

View more questions Search