Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deannewoodruff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Felon looking for a truck driving job
    I am a felon, nothing major no prison time, I am looking for a trucking company that would accept me and also provide training. Please help! :confused:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 11:04 AM

Depending on how long ago your felony conviction was you may be in luck. Most trucking companies want at least 3-5 years from date of conviction. Also, you need to have an excellent driving record with no moving violations to offset your criminal record.

There are a lot of OTR companies that will provide training in return for you working for them for at least 12 months. If you Google for this, you should find an OTR firm near you or a firm that has a training facility closeby. You may have to drive a few hundred miles and stay at their facility M-F and it might take a few weeks but in the end it is worth it. I know not too long ago I saw CR England advertising free training and come work for us type ads.

You do know you will not be allowed to drive into Canada with a load so be sure to remember that.

Most of your OTR companies are out of either Ohio, Missouri, Arkansas. In other words the midwest areas. And you don't have to be a resident of those states to work for an OTR company either. As far as local CDL work, forget it. Most companies want at least 2+ years experience in order to satisfy their insurance carrier's requirements and the jobs don't pay much either compared to OTR work. With OTR be willing to spend at least a month away from home at a time.
    Renson8395 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deannewoodruff View Post
    I am a felon, nothing major no prison time, I am looking for a trucking company that would accept me and also provide training. Please help!!:confused:
    I am also a felon? But I have had prison time, but it's been over ten years ago, and yet I can't get a truck driving job today. I really don't unstand that because I service my time. Plus I have had good driving jobs since then yet in today day I can't get a job. It's as if it hunt me. But if anyone out there can help it be very nice of them. I can make a big difference in whatever company hire's me. So just don't give up hope.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 02:09 PM

Renson - Florida is not a big trucking company state. You need to look in other states for trucking companies. The bigger companies are better candidates for felons. It also matters what kind of felony you had as well. Drug convictions tend to make the trucking company shy away from hiring you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freee truck driving training for felon but very clean driving record? [ 22 Answers ]

I would love to drive semi's local or cross country, but I do not have the job training or the finances for driving school. Can someone please help me ? Thank you Oscar

Is there anyone that accepts a felon for truck driving. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and step-father are both ex-felons. They both want to get into a truckdriving school with paid training but there is no one that we can find that wants to accept them. My husbands felony if for aggrivated assult and my step-dads is for armed robbery. Both of their felonies are over 10...

I'm just another felon looking for a truck driving job [ 4 Answers ]

How can I find a truck driving job with a 1-year felony?

Felon driving a truck ,EOE? [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried some. I have a felony reduced to a misdemeanor 7 years old and 10 (misdemeanor) small cases. I have passed a lot of background checks and sometimes I fail a lot. Im in the same boat. Aren't there a lot of cdl trucking companies that will give me a chance? Equal opportunity...

Felon looking for CDL & truck driving opportunities [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a truck driving company that will agree to hire a convicted felon once I get my CDL? Job Link has agreed to pay for my CDL training, but first I must get written agreement from a truck driving school that will agree to hire me once I have the CDLs. My felon is less than 5...

View more questions Search