Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    077dg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 06:54 AM
    Where to install thermostat
    I own a 1986 modular home. The heating/AC unit is 23yrs old. We had a professional come in and give us an estimate. The original thermostat is in the center of the home. This man said if they couldn't find the wires to hook up the new thermostat, that they would just put it in the utility room, where the new unit is being installed. He said it would give a more accurate reading there anyway. I always thought the thermostat should be in the center of a home. I am worried about this. The problem is, modular homes are put together haphazardly, to where the owner doesn't even know where wires are run. If they end up putting the thermostat in the same room the new unit is being installed, will that be okay? They are here now.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Aug 4, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Hi! 077dg, and Welcome to AMHD :)
    Quote Originally Posted by 077dg View Post
    I own a 1986 modular home. The heating/AC unit is 23yrs old. We had a professional come in and give us an estimate. The original thermostat is in the center of the home. This man said if they couldn't find the wires to hook up the new thermostat, that they would just put it in the utility room, where the new unit is being installed. He said it would give a more accurate reading there anyway. I always thought the thermostat should be in the center of a home. I am worried about this. The problem is, modular homes are put together haphazardly, to where the owner doesn't even know where wires are run. If they end up putting the thermostat in the same room the new unit is being installed, will that be okay? They are here now.
    No its not okay!
    Sounds to me those guys just want to get in- get out, and don't want to crawl under the modular. They don't have a fish to attach to the original wires and run theirs?

You are right, the stat should be placed in the living area, but away from drafts or heat from the kitchen area, the original area would be ideal.

For modular's all main wiring is run in the framework see link:
    Manufactured_Home_Electrical_Wiring_Diagram

Good site:
    Mobile_Home_Electrics

By Modular, do you mean On block walls with/without basement, I've seen Modulars trucked in, butted together, leveled on four corners, an down the middle with a skirt wrap a round.

Added 11:27am edt
    What's in your contract? If it says existing locations, they have no choice unless you allow it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 07:32 AM

Not OK. It shoud be away from windows and drafts and about 5' high.

Inner hallways are not a bad location. Wireless thermostats are possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat install [ 9 Answers ]

This site appears helpful, but I didn't see my situation, and I tried the Honeywell wiring wizard but it doesn't include my model. I currently have a White Rodgers (9510E7) rectangular thermostat and I am trying to replace with Honeywell 5-2 Day Programmable RTH230B. Currently there are 8 wires...

Thermostat Install [ 3 Answers ]

This site appears helpful, but I didn't see my situation, and I tried the Honeywell wiring wizard but it doesn't include my model. I currently have a White Rodgers (9510E7) rectangular thermostat and I am trying to replace with Honeywell 5-2 Day Programmable RTH230B. Currently there are 8 wires...

I need help to install new thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have York brad manual thermostat. I bought a Honeywell RTH230B digital. York has 6 wires which labeled as O,R,W,Y,G,B(blue). Honeywell has 5 labeled as Rh,Rc, Y,W, and G. Also Rh and Rc are jumped . What is the right way to connect the new one? Y, W, and G are okay. Thanks for the help....

Help with thermostat install [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a ritetemp thermo stat and didn't label the wires can anyone help -I know---:mad: Stupid

Where should I install the thermostat? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 3 family home and am having a problem getting the heat up to the third floor. Right now the thermostat is in the basement and the sensor is in the first floor apartment. Where should the thermostat be placed? In the first, second or third floor apartment for me to better manage the heat...

View more questions Search