Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danb73 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Girlfriend wants to have sex with another guy
    I've been in what has become a serious relationship for 4 months now. It's been a very intense relationship, and we've been through a lot in a short period. Im a very skeptical person by nature, and it's taken a lot of work, but our relationship has solidified a lot, and I have put a lot of trust in her, and she has in me as well. The sex was a bit shaky at first, as we jumped into it a bit quick (for me anyway) but it has gotten very good, and very intense. We have sex prety much whenever we see each other - about 4 - 6 times a week.

The emotional aspect and trust we have in each other has grown a lot as well. It has been hard for both of us to find someone we can trust, but we both believe we have that in each other.

Now, here's the problem - she has a friend in another state she sees maybe once or twice a year. They have been friends for many years and although they considered a relationship at one point she has said repeatedly she wouldn't be able to stand him as a boyfriend and a relationship would never work with him. However, they have had a "no strings attached" sexual relationship on and off for several years. She is planning on seeing some family over Christmas, and knows she is going to see him when she goes home. This is the first time she will have seen him since we've been together, and she has said there's a good chance she will have sex with him. Not because of any dissatisfaction with me, but because they have always had a connection physically, and can both separate emotion from sex. She has explained it in length to me, because she wants to be honest and doesn't want to go behind my back. She knows I'm uncomfortable with it, and she doesn't want it to hurt or end our relationship if it happens.

What's hard is the fact that we have a very deep and emotional relationship. I have looked and tried to find some dishonesty on her part on the emotional side but I can't find any, so I know she is not faking her feelings for me.

Any ideas?
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danb73 View Post
    I've been in what has become a serious relationship for 4 months now...

Now, here's the problem - she has a friend in another state she sees maybe once or twice a year... This is the first time she will have seen him since we've been together, and she has said there's a good chance she will have sex with him. Not because of any dissatisfaction with me, but because they have always had a connection physically, and can both seperate emotion from sex. She has explained it in length to me, because she wants to be honest and doesnt want to go behind my back. She knows I'm uncomfortable with it, and she doesn't want it to hurt or end our relationship if it happens.

I have looked and tried to find some dishonesty on her part on the emotional side but I can't find any, so I know she is not faking her feelings for me.

Any ideas?
    Ya... break up with her.

Her manipulation skills are impeccable! She has you convinced that having sex with another guy ain't so bad. The fact that you even listened to her tell you this crap blows my mind.

Talaniman has said it to me and I say it to you "relationships that move too fast will always crash and burn". An intense, four-month relationship doesn't lend itself to a solid relationship.

So again, break-up with her because if you two do continue to date well into the future, this will not be the last time you'll be sharing your girlfriend with that friend or others, and she'll live guilt-free because she told you about it beforehand.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 02:11 PM
    She may be being honest with you regarding the likelihood of having sex with this other guy but she's not being very honest regarding her feelings for you. "I love you and care for you very much, but I'm probably going to have sex with this other guy over Christmas because we've always had a physical relationship with no strings attached. I won't consider just saying to him 'sorry, but I'm involved with someone else now so I can't have sex with you any more.' " Now I don't know how all of this sounds to you but it sounds pretty off the wall to me. Doesn't exactly qualify for the "girlfriend of the year" award in my estimation. Govern yourself accordingly.

Aug 3, 2009, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci View Post
    She may be being honest with you regarding the likelihood of having sex with this other guy but she's not being very honest regarding her feelings for you. "I love you and care for you very much, but I'm probably going to have sex with this other guy over Christmas because we've always had a physical relationship with no strings attached. I won't consider just saying to him 'sorry, but I'm involved with someone else now so I can't have sex with you any more.' " Now I don't know how all of this sounds to you but it sounds pretty off the wall to me. Doesn't exactly qualify for the "girlfriend of the year" award in my estimation. Govern yourself accordingly.

She feels this way because previously she was in a marriage where she sacrificed everything for a man who ultimately wasn't willing to provide emotionally or physically. She was with this man for her enitre adult life and is now in her late 20's. Although she wants to be with me, and understands my feelings her gut feeling is that she feels she is setting her self up for the same thing if she doesn't go on her trip over christmas. She feels the temptation may be too great if she does go.

At first, we talked about it and she decided she wasn't going to go because of our relationship, but now she's considering it again.
    BABYGIRL09 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 02:47 PM

It doesn't matter the reason for being unfaithful- we alwasys have choices. And yes she is being unfaithful, despite the fact she told you. Hey I'm not perfect, but it seems she trying to convince you that there isn't nothing wrong with it. What if the tables were turned. Ask her how she would feel. Maybe your relationship isn't worth that much to her anyway. Caus from a girls perspective, once you find "the one" isn't nothing can make you cheat on them.
    Rich11111 Posts: 99, Reputation: 25

Aug 3, 2009, 03:11 PM

Sure tell her her she can have sex with him, just make sure to tell her not to come back after.

Even if she doesn't have sex with him, to seriously consider cheating when your only four months into a relationship is a clear sign that it will fail.

I say end it. If she is this eager to have sex with someone else at this point in your relationship, knowing how much it will hurt you, I don't see how she will remain loyal to you if this becomes long term.
    Break up with her now and save yourself a lot of heartbreak.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 03:48 PM
    At least she's honest. Unfortunately she's also loose. I, once upon a time, had some of those " no strings" relationships. But if I were to see one of them now( I do regularly) I wouldn't even be tempted. Because it's NOT RIGHT now that I am married. Just like it's not right because SHE'S in a relationship with you now.

She obviously doesn't care at all about you or your feelings. Get rid of her now, BEFORE she has the chance to hurt you like this. She's probably going to be like this for the rest of her life.

"You see it's a tradition, regardless of who I'm with, I screw THIS GUY because we've been doing it for years" Are you kidding me?

Get out now.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 04:00 PM

If she knows you don't like it, and she still insists, then she doesn't "love" you like you think, and she isn't right for you.

Also, that's a good way to get STDs! :eek:
    People who believe in NSA relationships, there's no way of knowing how many partners they had.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 05:03 PM
    If she genuinely cared for you and was committed to your 'intense' relationship then the thought of sex with another guy wouldn't even enter her head, even if it has only been 4 months.

I think her desire to shag this guy is a huge red flag for the potential of your relationship. What if she doesn't get him out of her system? What if she still wants to shag him in another 6 months? In another 2 years? In another 6 years?

She may not be faking her feelings towards you, but clearly she does not have the capacity for discrimination or for commitment.

Feelings are only feelings after all - they can change.

What you need to ask yourself is, do you want to continue to have a relationship with someone that has a questionable sense of integrity and whose values are very different to our own?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 09:30 PM

Don't make excuses for her.
    If she can't be faithful then she isn't worth your time.

You say
    They have always had a connection physically, and can both separate emotion from sex
    TRANSLATION:
    I have NO self control over my desires for sex

SO I don't even see where you can trust her other than she is honest with you

BUT where does her honestly get you when it is to tell you I AM going to cheat on you.

You can use any words you want to to paint a pretty picture to justify something but in the end a rose is a rose and cr@pola is CR@POLA.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 09:47 PM

She feels this way because previously she was in a marriage where she sacrificed everything for a man who ultimately wasn't willing to provide emotionally or physically. She was with this man for her enitre adult life and is now in her late 20's. Although she wants to be with me, and understands my feelings her gut feeling is that she feels she is setting her self up for the same thing if she doesn't go on her trip over christmas. She feels the temptation may be too great if she does go.

At first, we talked about it and she decided she wasn't going to go because of our relationship, but now she's considering it again.
    Rate this Answer
    What happened in her past is not an excuse to bring that baggage into your relationship.

That is why when people jump from relationship to relationship without healing and learning and growing by them self,they are doomed to carry the crap from one bad relationship to the next.

That is why going slow and taking your time is important to a healthy bond.

There is no telling where you will be with this girl in four months.

If she is truly committed to you at that time she will not want to have sex with any other man.

I don't care how much of a habit it is or how much she may like it,if you are more important to her than a roll in the hay, she won't do it.Its that simple.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    What happened in her past is not an excuse to bring that baggage into your relationship.

That is why when people jump from relationship to relationship without healing and learning and growing by them self,they are doomed to carry the crap from one bad relationship to the next.

That is why going slow and taking your time is important to a healthy bond.

There is no telling where you will be with this girl in four months.

If she is truly committed to you at that time she will not want to have sex with any other man.

I don't care how much of a habit it is or how much she may like it,if you are more important to her than a roll in the hay, she won't do it.Its that simple.

What she said is quite true... and I will want to add... 4 months is NOT enough time to be deeply inviolved or develop deep feelings... at 4 months what you feel is lust, not love. Give it time and you will understand what I'm saying... we have almost all been through that before. Its not new to us.

Aug 4, 2009, 09:00 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I feel the same way you all do. Artladys comments sum up my feelings. I am not trying to make excuses for her as someone said, just give some more detail.

Although I agree 4 months is not enough time to develop a really serious relationship it has been more intense than the others. Without going into my own relationship history I will say we both do have feelu fs for each other and as open as I am sexually (I'm open to just about anything but this) I can't compromise on this and allow myself to be run over.

Anyway we gotinto a fight about it and broke up last night. Long story short, she's texting me telling me she wants me back. I want to be with her but I'm out of energy and can't go along with her proposed arrangement. That to me is non negotiable.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 09:08 AM

Exactly don't compromise
    I said don't make excuses because you can easily fall into that trap because it is hard to make a choice when your emotions are so involved.
    If she can so easily have casual sex with an old friend then I just can't see her committing to you 100% in the future. You don't know how often in her life she is going to run into this guy or even find other guys that she can't keep her hands off.

And good for you. Nothing she can say will make it work out because you can't trust her.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 09:15 AM

Good for you.
    It's hard now, but it's much easier than keeping yourself with her indefinitely beause you don't want to hurt her... or even yourself.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 09:39 AM

Its easier to get out of this mess now than it will be when you have more time invested. It's never ewasy to walk away... but most times it IS easier than staying, dealing with it and still leaving later.

Like you said... some things just are NOT negotiable. When that happens stand by your beliefs.

Aug 4, 2009, 06:30 PM

Thanks...

Now she's saying she's willing to work on it and try and change her feelings. She's still a bit defensive about it, and it isn't exactly clear what has to happen or what my role in it would be.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 06:35 PM

... or if you can really trust her.
    What's to say that now that she knows how you feel about it she is telling you what she wants you to think

Aug 4, 2009, 07:42 PM

Well, she's practically breaking down crying saying she wants to try and change the way she feels about it, even though she's almost convinced an "open" relationship would work and that I assumed too much early on when I assumed she would want a "normal" monogomous relationship.

We both feel that the other is trying to spin the argument to fit our own feelings/beliefs.

I told her I need time to think about it, and that there would be trust issues.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 08:08 PM

Exactly and she can not say that it is your fault for assuming she would want a "normal" monogomous relationship because it is just as wrong for her to assume you should accept an open relationship. She is using it to twist things to make you feel obligated to her having her way.
    I would say that it is more ''normal'' that you assume a monogomous relationship because most relationships do not last through open relationships. Its just not the norm and so it should be discussed/brought up by the one wanting an open relationship.
    I'd proceed with caution and think long and hard.
    I am on your spin with this one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is my girlfriend/ex girlfriend thinking? Will she realize what she's lost? [ 44 Answers ]

All right, before I start let me just say that I have been dating this girl for 3 years, ever since we graduated from high school. Background info: We met in high school, I really never knew her up until my senior year. We're both the same age and she sat beside me in class because she taught I...

MY Ex Girlfriend is Pregnant, But I'm In love With mY new Girlfriend. [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, to whom it may concern my name is sam. I am 21 years old and I just don't get it. I had been with my ex for 2 odd some reasons, and then I broke up with her. I found out that she found someone right away. I felt happy inside for her at that time. Finally I found the love of my live who loves...

My ex-girlfriend [ 5 Answers ]

Threads merged and edited. I still love my ex, I told her I love her, she told me the same. We went back out for two days, and she left me. She left me for a 11th grader and now I am falling in love with her friend. I asked her friend would she go out with one of her friends she said no. I told...

Ex Girlfriend or Pregnant Girlfriend [ 10 Answers ]

I had been seeing my partner for 8 years and have had a fantastic relationship. We had a really good lifestyle and I genuinely feel like she was my soulmate and true love. Trouble is I didn't know it. I hit 40 and had what I now see as a mid life crisis. I split with my girlfriend in November,...

View more questions Search