Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwilder23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 10:59 AM
    Using Drain Oil on my cedar siding
    My Cedar siding needs to be stained again terribly. It has turned black in some spots. I have tried everything to get rid of the black but it is deep in the wood and won't come out. I have been told by a couple of people to use Drain Oil (the old oil after an oil change). They have witnessed people putting this on their wood siding and say it works beautifully as a stain. They figure that it may hid some of the black on my siding as well. Has anyone ever heard of this being done? Before I go out and try it...

Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 06:05 PM

Under no circumstance put use motor oil on your siding.

Many years ago when we were not so environmentally conscience and before grass trimmers, I use to pour my used motor oil along the chain link fence to kill the grass that you could not get to with the mower.

Came home one hot summer day, neighbor told me that my fence had caught on fire. Spontaneous combustion of the oil.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 3, 2009, 10:09 PM

Don't DO IT ! Not only is it a fire hazard and bad for the environment, its also almost certainly illegal. Image how well a home with cedar siding soaked in motor oil would burn if a fire ever started. If anyone did this in my area and the health dept. found out I can't even begin to describe what kind of fines might be issued.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 12:18 AM

the old oil after an oil change
    My old oil is usually black, So how's that not stain black on wood...
    My Cedar siding needs to be stained again terribly. It has turned black in some spots
    Just when you thought it wasn't possible and then this.

One of the long lost construction techniques I use for ceder shake shingles roofs was to run a copper wire across the top of the peak and this chemically changes the water as the rain passes over it and keeps moss from growing on the roof. The black is a preemptive for moss to grow but doesn't stay wet long enough for that to happen. I would try the same theory and run a bare copper wire under/against the edge of a shake shingle where the rain starts to the side of the house and see if that doesn't elevate the "black" from forming.

Also is there any trees to trim for added sunlight for the wet shingle to dry faster...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 11:38 AM

Similar to what 21boat had to say we install a zinc strip to make the rain water chemically change, it kills mold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding vinil siding over cedar siding [ 3 Answers ]

My house have cedar siding I do like to know if I can add vinal siding over it, if I can how should I do it, or what kind of insulation can I use. Thanks

Installing vinyl siding over cedar siding [ 4 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to install vinyl siding right over top of cedar siding?

Cedar siding [ 1 Answers ]

I build my home about 20 years ago. It has cedar siding. It has been stained twice since it was build. I see a product called Permalast. Sherwin Williams sells a product call Duration which has Permalast listed. Do you know anything about his product. They say it is long lasting. Thanks for...

Cedar Siding [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best methods to prime and paint cedar siding?

Cedar Siding installation [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing 18" Cedar siding boards. My problem is installing them around a bay extension where the angles are 22 degrees. No matter how precise I cut those joints, they look awful. I waste more material than needed and I cannot make the joints look neat. I have had to resort to using...

View more questions Search