Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    northernbc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 11:28 PM
    Find - Rock with prints found in Northern BC
    We found this rock in our local gravel pit in Northern BC.

I have looked for similar prints but cannot find anything similar
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Or here

Earlene D's Photos | Facebook
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 03:41 AM

It looks like a sloth footprint. How big are they actually? Can you measure them ? Your find would be of tremendous interest to a local museum or university.

Tick

Aug 3, 2009, 03:54 AM
    A Sloth.. Now that is interesting. I put my foot in it, and it is exactly the same size. I wear a Size 6 Shoe
    I will look for sloth foot prints, to compare...

Yes, it would be interesting to know that there were sloths way up in Northern BC. I live near Fort St John.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 05:04 AM

Prehistoric sloths were much larger then modern day sloths and roamed the north american continent in the Pleistocene era (ice age). I have since looked up a pic of one and data and found that the foot had claws for stripping bark, etc. a food source. So don't know, but it still looks like sloth. Send your pic to the one of several good universities in BC, Simon Fraser is one, anthropology dept. and see what they come up with.

Good lucky find!

Tick

Aug 3, 2009, 12:13 PM
    This must be a baby sloth, if it is. I looked at photos of the Prehistoric Sloths and they are enormous. Much larger than the print embedded in the rock.
    Thank you for your suggestion I emailed the Paleontology department at the University of BC I hope I get an answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to find 80's rock song [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for an 80's rock song that I had played in a band in the middle 80's .Its not a punk , new wave , or metal song . Part of the lyrics are : " I'm addicted baby , its plain to see . Your love , has got a hold on me " . " I'm addicted baby , it's a natural fact . ___ ____ , Could ever...

Rock Axe Head Found [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just came across something that looks like a rock axe head, really old. Is there someone who could verify if it is one, and how much it may be worth? Please feel free to message me back at

What to do when you find out your husband found his old flame? [ 10 Answers ]

I just found out that for the last 9 months my husband has had a relationship via phone, text & e-mail with a woman that he had a total crush on in high school & college. The "friendship" ended before we met, but when he first told me about it I was shocked. The woman used him for years gifts &...

I need to find an attorney in Northern San Diego County [ 2 Answers ]

I live in northern San Diego County and need to find an attorney to talk to about this a lawsuit against me, and filing one against my insurance company, maybe even the hospital. Please help they are already threating my wages .yes, I have been served

I need to find out what kind of pills I found. [ 5 Answers ]

I found some pills in my sons dresser. They are yellow ,circle shape, it says dan on the front of pill, and the numbers 5216 on the back. I need to know what pills these are before I confront my son. Thank-you!

View more questions Search