Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Semoduke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 02:05 PM
    I need a intake valve seat inside the head of my b&s 287707 1272-e1
    I reciently acquired a murry lawn tractor and Ive had to do some work to it before I could get it running. Its sat behind my father in laws shed for around 2 years prior to me grabbing it. But anyhow, After a few minor repairs I got it running fairly good. Well today I was mowing the yard and all the sudden it started backfired and died. I removed the head after noticing the springs where way off and the intake valve seat was stuck between the valve and the head. It broke loose from the head and craked into about 10 pieces. I have looked around and can't seem to find a valve seat on the B&S site. Just a whole new head. Anyone know where I can get just a replacement intake valve seat that I can press in myself?
    Any help is appreciated
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 2, 2009, 06:10 PM

Hi,
    Though seats are available for L-head engines, they are not for OHVs. I can tell you they are not a big selling part when available. I can count on the fingers of one hand the ones I have sold in approaching four decades.
    My best idea is to go to some local dealers, I hope you have some good ones, and look for a machine with a blown up engine, or ask who he (the dealer) sells his trade-ins to, or try to find a local mower junkyard. Picking up a used head would seem the best option, and maybe the second choice in the list could be good as he may buy more than one dealers' trade-ins.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs 14.5 HP Model 287707-1272 - smokin' ! [ 5 Answers ]

Help My Briggs-powered lawn tractor is in a sad way :( . I can start it and it runs fine for 3-5 minutes. Then as I'm mowing, it will suddenly belch a massive cloud of smoke and stop running. It doesn't seem to be throwing any smoke out the exhaust before this happens. I've ready around the...

Intake valve stuck [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, this is Peter I have a Craftman lawn mover won't start. I found out that is the intake valve stuck close I took of the intake and cleaned it. It fire up but then after 3 minutes it shut off and stuck again. I try to clean the valve and valve guide up to 3 times and it done same thing over...

How do I replace a needle valve seat on a BS 14? [ 3 Answers ]

I have BS 14 HP with a float type carb. I know the needle is sticking and flooding the engine/ oil/ ground with gas! I have ordered the new needle valve and seat. My question is how do I get the seat out? Does anyone have any information about how to remove one? Help please... Mower parked in...

Fixing a leaking intake valve [ 12 Answers ]

Do I need to call a plumber to fix a leaking intake valve for cold water to my washing machine -- is this a soldering job? The valve leaks when I open it, and drips even when I shut it closed clockwise. Thanks, I tried searching this page and didn't see any previous posts, sorry if I am repeating...

View more questions Search