Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 2, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Painting or staining of trim for interior doors
    First, I am NOT Harold, but his wife, Shirley. We are painting our dining room after removing wallpaper. The 2 doors going into the dining room were trimmed with Capital Hill casing & rosettes at the top corners. This trim was painted white. The door between the kitchen & dining room was not trimmed on the kitchen side since the kitchen has cherry molding stained to match the cabinets & other trim. Is there a standard that says the trim on the dining room side of the door must match the stain on the kitchen side of the door? Since we are painting the dining room a pottery red, the white on the capital hill casing is just so much more attractive than the cherry stain will be on the capital hill molding. My preference is to leave the inside of the door facing white as well but Harold disagrees with me on this. There must be a standard on this some place. This doorway does NOT have a door in it so there is no molding down the center of the door to separate the cherry stain from the white paint.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2009, 12:54 PM

Is there a standard that says the trim on the dining room side of the door must match the stain on the kitchen side of the door?
    Hi Shirley. No, there's is nothing wrong with door trim being different on different sides of the opening.

What we ended up doing in renovations if there is no door is use a piece of flat trim to split the jamb in the middle and paint to the one side of the added trim one color and the other color starts on the other side.

A demarcation line. The other approach was trim paint the whole jamb a close but completely color not to match 100% of either room but to accent the opening in itself.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Aug 6, 2009, 01:00 PM

I would do the door facing the color of the room that is larger. As far as having the molding painted white I agree with you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Price for painting doors/trim [ 3 Answers ]

How do you go about charging to paint doors and trim around doors plus baseboads. Thank you

Any tips for painting interior doors with semi gloss? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been painting my interior trim and doors with semi gloss paint. I really like the look of the high gloss white for trim, but it was such a pain in the arse to use. It gets so tacky so fast! I was hoping that the semi gloss would be better... but no luck. It's really not that big a...

Any advise on concrete staining of interior floors? [ 3 Answers ]

We are contemplating replacing the tile and carpet with concrete staining. Will the marks from the tile show when the concrete is stained? Are the floors easy to maintain?

How to manufacture car interior trim [ 1 Answers ]

How do companies produce interior trim (such as wood or carbon fiber) for cars? More specifically, what kinds of machines are necessary, what adhesives and coatings are used, and are the pieces actually solid wood or just a thin layer glued to plastic or metal? Also, if there are any websites...

View more questions Search