Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamestdavis Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Care of Roses
    We recently bought a home that has a beautiful Rose bush. It has since stopped blooming so I fertilized it with the appropriate fertilizer and watered it in well. We now have a very healthy looking shoot that is coming up from below the ground so I assume it's also below the graft. I say cut it off, my wife says we should leave it alone!

Position?

Thanks, Jim
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Aug 2, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamestdavis View Post
    We recently bought a home that has a beautiful Rose bush. It has since stopped blooming so I fertilized it with the appropriate fertilizer and watered it in well. We now have a very healthy looking shoot that is coming up from below the ground so I assume it's also below the graft. I say cut it off, my wife says we should leave it alone!

Position?

Thanks, Jim
    Hi! Jim,
    If Just Dahlia were here she'd tell you to cut it off, and if it's a sucker I'd say yes too.

Personally, I usually don't cut anything unless its dead or dying.

U of Ill Ext.:
    Pruning Roses
    There's videos here:
    trimming roses - Google Search

This is what I use:
    Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control Concentrate

Self-explanatory:
    Rose Care Basics - Bayer Advanced
    Fertilizing Roses - Bayer Advanced

K
    MayaLocke Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Apr 23, 2010, 09:57 AM

Growing roses can be an invigorating experience if you know how to care for your rose bushes. Timely pruning, fertilizing and spraying can ease your task to a great extent so that you do not have to worry about diseases and pests.

One main point to be noted while taking care of your rose plants is that they need the right amount of water. Too much or too little of watering can kill the delicate rose bushes. Too much of water may leave the roots shallow thus making them unable to absorb essential nutrients and develop a strong root system. Shallow watering may encourage fungal growth; thus deep watering is preferred. The leaves too need to be kept dry or else they will be plagued by diseases.

Caring for Roses - Caring for Rose Bushes
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 01:38 PM

I vote not to cut it until you see what kind of roses it produces. Then if you don't like the roses from the shoot, cut 'er off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roses. What should I do [ 23 Answers ]

I've got a nice rose bush (not sure what kind) well it was nice had good sized flowers and nice folage. This past two years its kindof gone wild on me.. I'm worried about pruining it.. since I've never pruned a rosebush before I don't know where to go about it or how to. I also was wondering what...

Planting roses [ 2 Answers ]

:) I have a rose bush that I did not get planted in the ground. It is now the end of October. I live in northern Ohio.. Can I store this plant. If so were is the best place? Do I have to keep it in doors? Thank you for any help.

Rogasa roses [ 2 Answers ]

I Have A Great Beach Rose Bush That Has Given Beautiful Blooms For The Last 3 Years. This Year The Leaves Are Scarce And The Flowers That Are Blooming Are Weak With Flowers. I Do Not See Any Pest Or Have Not Pruned It Since It Was Planted. I Need Help And Fast. Thank You. Java56

Wild roses [ 1 Answers ]

How should I prune wild rose bushes that weren't pruned in the fall? It is now spring.

Roses [ 1 Answers ]

How far below the flower do I deadhead the rose?

View more questions Search