Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RJ Sanders Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 06:13 PM
    Kfx400 atv will not start
    2003 kfx400 won't start will turn over but it won't start it has spark and gas but won't start it started for 2 minutes drove down the street and died out. It won't start again even with starting fluid. Held gas wide open nothing happened, it cranks but won't fire up. Some white smoke was coming out exhaust after trying to start for a couple minutes.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 07:06 AM

Check your spark plug for color, Tan, wet?
    Try cranking with throttle wide open.

Aug 2, 2009, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Check your spark plug for color, Tan, wet?
    Try cranking with throttle wide open.
    Yea I tried holding it wide open. Nothing. The spark plug was kind of black but no to bad
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 08:09 AM

I would try a new plug, If you have spark, It would likely be in Carb or fuel. Air Filter?

Aug 2, 2009, 08:15 AM
    I would try a new plug, If you have spark, It would likely be in Carb or fuel. Air Filter?
    Yea it was sitting for a while becaese I had the engine and trans rebuilt. When we got the engine and trans back in the bike it started right up. Drove it about 50 feet and it died out. Then it wouldn't start back up even held wide open it cranked but wouldn't start? Do you think it could have something to do with the timing? Or valves? Cams?
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 08:56 AM

I would suspect Carb from sitting, if you have points, they could be corroded.
    It fires when points open.
    Does sound like a fuel problem.

Aug 2, 2009, 08:58 AM
    I would suspect Carb from sitting, if you have points, they could be corroded.
    It fires when points open.
    Does sound like a fuel problem.
    Yea I think it's the carb or something having to do with the choke. What do you mean by points?
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 09:11 AM

On older Bikes they had points which determined and delivered spark. You likely don't have them.
    Be sure of kill and any neutral/clutch safety.
    You may have a drain plug on float bowl that you could drain into a glass container to smell for bad gas and look for the presence of water/dirt.

Aug 2, 2009, 09:31 AM
    On older Bikes they had points which determined and delivered spark. You likely don't have them.
    Be sure of kill and any neutral/clutch safety.
    You may have a drain plug on float bowl that you could drain into a glass container to smell for bad gas and look for the presence of water/dirt.
    Yea. It has new oil and anti freeze and everything. The gas may be bad. But I think the choke is either stuck or the carb is clogged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do I start looking for grants to start up construction business in Mn. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello,I am John and I would appreciate any help I could get on finding some grants or low interest loans for starting a concrete contracting business.I have searched some sites but most want money for a kit.My credit is not very good and I am just trying to start a small construction business.I am...

No HSI start GMNT Goodman Janitrol No flame start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol (Goodman) furnace, and the controller board indicates 3 blinks. The flame blower starts, but it never gets to HSI (the ignitor never starts heating up). I've changed the controller board, and same issues. I've been through every sensor (bypassing all of them), and still no...

Lawn mower won't start , changed Plug , but Still won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

My lawn mower won't Start , I tried Changing the Plug , But still won't Start

Can't start my Poulan chainsaw. Start rope too hard to pull. [ 1 Answers ]

Can't start my chainsaw because the start rope is too hard to pull out. Pulling the rope causes a jerky action.

View more questions Search