Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2004, 09:28 AM
    Error Message Help: Cyclic Redunancy Check
    Hi all,

Well my PC was getting a little cluttered with the mountains of rubbish I had downloaded over the previous months, so I decided to wipe my PC clean and start again. Now, of course there was some stuff that I did want and this got backed up to DVD's. I wrote the DVD's in Nero, after burning I opened them up in Windows Explorer and all the files were there.

I've since wiped my PC and I'm starting to transfer the programs back. Unfortunately, some of the files won't transfer, reporting the following error "Data Error (Cyclic Redunancy Check)".

Has anyone heard of this error before? Is there a way round it or have I lost the files affected by that error? I'm going to try the DVD's on my Linux partition as soon as I have reinstalled that. Never know - that could work.

Cheers for any help,
    Leesy
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 17, 2005, 12:35 AM
    Error
    Yes, for one thing don't use Nero, I have never had this problem using CDmate to copy my files, only had it with Nero.

Next, try a free little program called CD Check, it will extract the files off your Cds, or Dvds, and then put them on hard drive.

It has not always, extracted all files, but it works on most of them, I have tried.

Also ISOBuster works OK on these problem Nero Cds also. :o
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 17, 2005, 06:24 AM
    Cyclic Redundancy Error
    Cyclic redundancy error may sound as if you've just been fired from work!! but it's just math code to make sure your data is okey.If you see this,the file being read by your PC is probably corrupted.However,it may not be lost forever.
    Visit http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cy...edundancy.html for more info.
    All the best,
    Nez :)

Jan 18, 2005, 07:49 PM
    More Ideas
    I have many of these errors with Nero and Adaptec, but never with CD Mate.

So to avoid them I suggest CD Mate. :)
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2005, 03:46 AM
    Well I got the files off them in the end. Just switched to Linux and they were fine. Just re-burned the CD's with whatever the KDE CD burner is called. Then everything was OK and I stopped throwing darts at my Nero disk.

Cheers for the info all.

Jan 20, 2005, 05:10 PM
    Help
    That's a lot of trouble you went through to solve that problem.

I use CDcheck for any older Cds or Dvds that have this problem and also BadCopy Pro is good. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Far Cry Error Message [ 5 Answers ]

I installed and updated the game Far Cry, but this Error keeps coming up: "Please insert the correct CD-Rom, select OK and restart application " I have unticked the Emulation programs that I can think of. ( Alcohol, and uninstalled Ghost9 and Clone DVD2 ). Nothing works, put in CD, click Icon...

DVD Error Message [ 2 Answers ]

I've got Power DVD 5.0 and every time I try to play a Copyright Protected DVD, I get the error message "TV out port not configured properly", with the details being "Can't play copyright protected DVDs with TV out function enabled". I have looked in the WinME help and support page. My graphics...

Error message [ 1 Answers ]

Error message when trying to save a web page. Please help me Marthie

Error message [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to fix my computer. At shut down, I keep getting a drwts.32 error and a dwwin.exe. Error. Any idea what it is and how to fix it?

Error message [ 8 Answers ]

After a recent about with a virus my computer gives me the error message Explorer.exe- Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000005). Click OK to terminate the application. Any hints on how to fix this. I still have access to explorer in safe mode but that's...

View more questions Search