Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MoonDust Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Tree falling and hitting car
    I had a tree limb to fall and but my windsheild and my sunroof dented my car is home owners insurance or auto insurance responsible? :confused:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2009, 01:37 PM

For car insurance to cover it I think you have to have something like comprehensive insurance.

I know many policies car or home do not cover many types of 'acts of nature'
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2009, 01:45 PM

Do you have comprehensive coverage? Check with your agent.

Aug 1, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    For car insurance to cover it I think you have to have something like comprehensive insurance.

I know many policies car or home do not cover many types of 'acts of nature'
    Thanks I have comprehensive coverage in fact my home owners and car are with the same company I just did not know which I should turn it in on??

Aug 1, 2009, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do you have comprehensive coverage? Check with your agent.
    Yes I do and my home owners and car are with the same company.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonDust View Post
    Yes I do and my home owners and car are with the same company.

Then just call your agent or the claims department of the carrier. Let them decide which policy covers you. That's their job!
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 04:49 PM

You can file it under either but more than likely you have a lower deductible to meet if you file it under your car policy.

Comprehensive coverage is just for incidents like this.
    JEPLAX Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 06:45 PM

Your Auto comprehensive insurance will cover this loss subject to (in excess of) the amount of your deductible for the comprehensive coverage. Most insurers will allow you to have a different deductible for comprehensive coverage (non-moving vehicle with no driver is damaged) vs. collision (typically moving vehicle with driver in vehicle).

The only way your Homeowners would cover this loss is if the tree was on your property and hit someone else's vehicle (not a member of your immediate family living in your premises) It would be covered under the liability coverage of your homeowners policy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2009, 07:05 PM

While policies differ , normally where I have worked you can not make a claim on your homeowers for yourself.
    TGMcCallie Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Of course if the tree or limb originated from your neighbors property their home owners insurance will cover it if it is live. If dead they will not because it should have been cut down.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 03:46 PM

Actually TG, my experience is the opposite. A tree in your neighbors yard falls and croses the property line is no longer the responsibility of the tree owner. When a tree leaves your property by an act of nature/God it is no longer yours. My tree snapped in 2 and stuck into my neighbors garage roof like a fork. His company paid and my would not. Live or dead never came into the picrture. Just my experience with Country Company
    TGMcCallie Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Aug 12, 2009, 07:21 PM

I was only going by my experience with my insurance company. I had a very large oak tree blow down and damaged my neighbors roof. I called my insurance company and my insurance company paid to have his roof fixed. They told me that since the tree was live it was my insurance companies liability. They said that if the tree had been dead then the person who receiged the damage would have to collect from his insurance company, my insurance company would not pay if it was dead because they said I should have had the tree cut.

Maybe some insurance companies are different but this was Allstate Insurance Company and they are not too quick to pay claims.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 08:15 PM

Interesting, maybe all those insurance companies have a special relationship we don't know about. Hope other can jump on with their experiences.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cut Tree Down? Tree Roots destroying my walkway. [ 7 Answers ]

I have some type of birch tree in the front of my house. The roots have grown up on the lawn and crakes my walk way. The tree is beautiful but is destroying my walkway and the lawn. Can I save it or should I just cut it down. If I replant a tree, what tree can I plant that will avoid damaging my...

How do you kill tree roots after more than 2 years after the tree was cut down? [ 5 Answers ]

About 2 years ago I had a tree removed from my front yard and the stump ground. I was told that this was enough to kill the remaining roots. However, I don't believe that this is true since the driveway is cracking and splitting even more now than when we had the tree. One side of the crack is...

My 12' healthy ficus tree is dying.How do I save my tree? [ 0 Answers ]

My Ficus tree were plant in my garden on a slopne for about a year. It doing very well. All the sudden the last two week couple of branches with the leafs start curling, turning yellow or brown and then fall off the branch. I cut of those two branches, now another branch, the leafs start doing the...

?Hitting lefty and hitting against lefties. [ 4 Answers ]

I have trouble htting against lefties. I am a left handed batter and I am fine against righties, but against lefties I struggle. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.?

I have ivy growing up a tree. Will this injure the tree? [ 1 Answers ]

I have ivy growing up a tree. Will this injure the tree?

View more questions Search