Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leon9306 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Deck supports required
    I have a current deck ,size 16' width x 12' out from the home, beams used were 8"x 12' on 16" centers. Supports used are 3- double 4x4 [4x8] 9' high from the ground.
    Question, I plan to put a aluminum roof covering over the deck, will these support beams be adequate [3-double 4x4's] Thank You
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Aug 1, 2009, 08:59 AM

I would take a close look at the following
    The footers <concrete>at the bottom of the post
    The condition of the post
    What underneth
    Reason I ask is you might want to go with some kind of re-inforcements to the post
    There's many ways to strengthen them and still be decorative
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 1, 2009, 10:14 AM

You will need a permit for this and local codes as well as IBC will dictate much of what you can/can't do. I can not answer your question because I have no idea what your roof and trusses will weigh or what you have for post footings right now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a foot to a deck in each direction using supports [ 3 Answers ]

(Sigh) We added a deck last summer. And it is too small in the area where we would like to install a canvas gazebo. We need one more foot on at least one, if not two sides of the deck, in order to install a gazebo. I want to know if it is possible to install 2x4" brackets to the fascia at the...

Deck top. We have a covered deck, planning on expanding deck, a 2x4 crossed cover [ 1 Answers ]

help!! We are planning on expanding our original deck with an open 2x4 crossed cover... do you have pictures or construction help?? Thanks

Why frims supports community [ 2 Answers ]

If a frim has $250,000, why it would like to support sporting, socail or entertainment events within the community rather than being spent on a financial project? Which one would improve the value of the firm or more benefitial company?

How do I size the supports for a veranda? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to replace an uncovered deck down the side of our home (60') with a new deck and want to add a roof off the side of our Craftsman-style home. To fit with the architecture I want to have large columns that I will face with stone and over sized boxed posts to match our large posts now. ...

View more questions Search