Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sare3kids Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2009, 08:15 AM
    Antique jewelry
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me I have a braclet whitch I believe to be a felipe martinez 1940's. I'd never seen another one until I did a search on the halmark. I'd like to know if it is what I think and what its worth if anything?
    Name:  22072009053.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  22072009056.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  22072009055.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  62.5 KB
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 08:44 AM

Here is a similar piece of jewellery.
    Vintage Mexican Sterling Silver Taxco Stone Bracelet - eBay (item 390068434980 end time Jul-31-09 05:08:43 PDT)

Aug 1, 2009, 11:23 AM

Thanks for that but its not much help I've found loads of pieces that are simlar
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2009, 12:40 AM

It gives an idea of a price though.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Aug 2, 2009, 01:43 AM
    That's true, eBay can be a great general guideline. If you want a better price find an antique jewelry appraiser in your local area and call them and ask before you take it in. Many appraisers specialize, if you are lucky there will be one near you who knows a bit about this. A word of warning though, if they give you a low offer and try to buy it, take it somewhere else for another appraisal.

Aug 2, 2009, 12:14 PM

I was thinking about taking it to a place who can check it out properly, but the one that we rang wanted to send it to somewhere and charge me almost £90 for it. That's a bit too pricey for me but I will look around thanks. There is no way I'd sell the piece its my late grans, I found it out when cleaning my cupboard. I remember playing with it when I was a child.I'm just interested to find out about it.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Aug 3, 2009, 02:15 AM
    Certainly call more than one place. If you ever take a weekend holiday you might consider those areas as well, then you can make an appt to drop it by when you go there.
    normangeorge Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 04:41 AM

Hi,
    I don't understand what led you to think it was Felipe. All his marks have Martinez spelled out. I can send you photos of his various marks from The Little Book Of Mexican Silver Trade and Hallmarks by Bille Hougart. I am quite sure the 925S is for 925 Silver and CM is the makers mark. Miguel Melendez uses a CM hallmark but it is a small m inside a C. There are several CM's listed in the book but they have not yet been id'd. There are no SCM's listed. Hope this helps.
    Cheers, Norm

Aug 7, 2009, 01:47 PM

Hey norm, what made me think it was felipe was I found a piece identical to the one I have except it had no martinez mark on it. I understand that he was from the same area my braclet was made and had opened a shop around the same time too. I'l cheak out the book you recommended as I know very little on this subject. Cheers :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is H.S.jewelry [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20 inch necklace marked H.S. can anyone tell me what the H.S means? Or any information about it?

How you buy the jewelry? [ 4 Answers ]

When you are going to buy jewelry - 1. First thing you will check your pocket. 2. Decide that how much money you are spend on jewelry. 3. Jewelry are many typew like Gold, Silver, Glass etc... you must decide what you want to buy. 4. See the Quality of the jewelry and buy it.

Jewelry [ 3 Answers ]

:D Can you tell me all about mood rings?:D

Jewelry Value [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 18k Cartier Gold Chain 36 inches and 68.5 grams in weight Vintage how much do any one think it's worth? It is 2.4 ounces

Antique mourning jewelry with deceased hair in them [ 1 Answers ]

I love the little antique pins/lockets for reuse, but I hesitate to purchase them , because I worry it is disrespectful, or spiritually unwise to disturb the contents, for fear of spirits and haunting. Although this custom is 150 yrs old and outdated, the jewelry themselves is lovely, but the...

View more questions Search