Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Where2Begin Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 12:09 AM
    Teaching student can't be a techers' aide because she can't drive a school bus?
    My fiancé is finishing here degree with the intent of teching 4th grade when graduated. This has been hindered partially due to a becoming unemployed in Feb. which has made it hard to pay for classes or buy books. Now she has grant to continue school but is trying to be a teachers aide for both the experience and a minimal income to live on. Now, we find out she cannot be a teachers aide her in North Carolina (atleast not the countys near us) because they would require her to drive a school bus.

Mind you, she is still going to school and will have class on some of these days she would have to drive a school bus, both before and after tpical school hours. Not to mention she is 5'5" of tiny girl that is hardly capable of driving her own Jeep Wrangler.

Anyone have any advice. I'm shocked at this being used as a cost cutting measure. At best, I could see a full time career teaching aide doing this but north the future teacher/student part time aide. Thanks either way.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 12:20 AM

I'd be looking into other careers if I were her. The teachers I know are all worrying whether they'll even have jobs next year. It's too bad that it's part of the job, but that's something out of your control.

About her being too small though, that's a lame excuse (sorry. But it is). I'm 5'1 and I've never had a problem driving any large vehicle. And when I was in elementary school one of my best friend's mom's was a school bus driver. She couldn't have been more than 5'5 either. And then in high school I had a science teacher who was maybe 5'2 and she drove one of those huge hummers. She did have to have pedal extenders installed but that was because she just didn't like having to move the seat forward. Being small doesn't make people incapable of driving large vehicles. The schedule and everything I totally understand. But size, no way.

Aug 1, 2009, 03:17 AM
    I didn't mean her size stopped her from driving one. However, she is far from ideal for it. She has issues with reversing, finally got her over it to an extent but still not great. She is terrible driving anything where she can't see everywhere. Her fathers F-150 is too much for her, could hardly drive a Grand Cherokee we were considering a ways back, and in general it's not the size that is an issue but rather blind spots. Needless to say there is a ton you can't see in a School Bus and it would be a hugely poor idea for her to have to drive a bus.

One the note of career change, she's always wanted to be a teacher and not much else would even remotely make her happy. She writes and has hopes of something meaningful to come from that but if she didn't become a teachers she would just forever have a JOB, not a career, and not a career she even remotely cares for. May sound silly in a sense but she can't even fathom anything else.

The biggest issue hands down is that fact she couldn't continue school if she wanted to gain experience and become a teachers aide if she has to drive a bus. It's a shame and just doesn't seem right.
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 11:15 AM

I agree with you there, it doesn't seem right at all. I HATE all of the school budget cuts. If there's one thing that I feel should be excluded from cuts, it's the schools. We're talking about the education of the next generation, the next generation that's going to be leading this country. If another job isn't an option, then you mentioned it's only the districts around you. Is moving or commuting an option for her?
    Maybe her teaching career is something that just needs to be put on hold until the economy bounces back. Maybe temporarily she needs to do something that doesn't require her driving a school bus and when the districts can afford to hire back the real school bus drivers she can look at going back to a teaching career. Maybe she could be a private tutor until then too, either full time or on the side so that at least she still gets to help teach children.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 06:59 AM

She could look into being a substitute teacher. That way she can decide how much or how little she wants to work, gain experience in the classroom, and she may even land a long term sub position in a school. This can be helpful so that she becomes known and will have some contacts for when positions do open up.

She can call the school district and ask about what requirements there are... sometimes it is a matter of having a certain number of college credits, having fingerprints done, and attending a one day training.

Some of the teacher's aides here are required to ride on the school buses in order to help supervise the children, but they are not actually driving the buses.

Budget cuts all over are forcing districts to cut corners where they can, and it is difficult for new, or soon to be graduating, teachers especially to find work right now, but the tide will turn at some point as it always does.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 07:13 AM
    Sounds pretty irregular to me. From what you're saying, every teacher's aide would also have to hold a school bus driver's license. It doesn't even sound like a cost-cutting measure since bus drivers are typically paid an hourly wage, so the county's got to pay someone to drive the buses, whether it be teacher's aides or anyone else. I guess the only feasible suggestion is to look in a different county.

Aug 4, 2009, 01:20 AM
    DoulaLC,

Never though of the substitute teacher. But, now that I think of it I asked a substitute I had in high school where they had graduated and they said they were still in school. Huh, that actually feels a little promising. Thanks

s_cianci,

That was my thought too. It would still be hourly for the same hours. I know bus drivers here only make about $22k/yr but considering the fewer hours it results in a nice hourly pay. The only thing that I can thing of it that they only pay the aide "teaching aide" rates and then save the extra there. It's all a little concerning to me as the same work is being done, just a few less drivers. Which would to me says they aides get more work, maybe even less pay given current cuts.

On a somewhat side note. The way it seems to me is that aides aren't jobs suited to future teachers looking to gain experience and income while in school but rather people who consider it to be the height of there educational career.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 01:44 AM

She should look into private schools or a possible tutoring appointment just to make ends meet.
    I am a retired T.A. and it's a good thing there was no such requirement for me.I think it's a rather ridiculous policy.
    I would also look into working in any facility that works with children,after school programs,special needs children in group homes.Educational based private companies such as The Sylvan learning center.
    Times are tough,best of luck!
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 10:42 AM

Does everyone gets benefits? If the drivers, teachers, and aides all get benefits that the district has to pay for in addition to an hourly wage than cutting drivers would cut a lot of costs. That's the only way I can think of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teacher Helping Student outside of school [ 2 Answers ]

A student gets caught drinking. A teacher turns her into the school office and student gets suspended for a few days. The teacher tries to help the student with the drinking problem. The teacher was not in the students life until this happened. The teacher is successful with the student not...

Can convicted felons get Student Aide/Grants? [ 6 Answers ]

Can a convicted Felon get Financial Aide or Student Loans?

Student on OPT-worked in school and another state [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm an F-1 Student, currently on OPT and came to US in Aug-2007. Jan-May 2008-I did some school work(TA and library) and earned less than $3000. My school is in North Carolina. June to Aug 2008-Internship in New Jersey where they did not cut any FICA but deducted federal as well as NJ...

Does anyone know how to get a grant for a high school student. [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to send my daughter and perhaps my son to a private christian school. If there are grants out there for high school students to get, then I would definitely like to take advantage of that for both of my high school students. Toija1972

Teaching at summer school [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I'm looking for some ideas for an ongoing project at a summer school (EFL) for kids. I usually teach business english to execs so this is quite a departure for me. I'm really looking forward to it though. Ill have a curriculum so most of the classes will be pretty tight but I have...

View more questions Search